Will Power

Monday, August 29, 2011

Rooney Targets Charlton Record

Wayne Rooney has set himself a target - to chase down Sir Bobby Charlton's goals record for United.

The red-hot striker scored a hat-trick against Arsenal with his opener making it 150 for the Reds, still a long way behind the incredible 249 mark set by the legendary Sir Bobby.

"Funnily enough, I was aware I was one away from 150 before the game," Rooney told MUTV. "I spoke to a few of the players and asked how many Sir Bobby had and Giggsy said I was 100 or so off.

"It's a target for me, to try and do that. Hopefully, in the next few years, I can do it."

The former Everton attacker admits he enjoys special moments against Arsenal after putting the Gunners to the sword again on Sunday.

"A lot of my milestone goals have come against Arsenal," he admitted to Sky Sports. "My first-ever goal for Everton, first Premier League goal for United, 100th Barclays Premier League goal for United and now 150th, all against Arsenal, so it’s obviously a great feeling. The performance today was incredible and we fully deserved the result we got, I thought.

"I think whether they had their full squad out or not, we were going to have a go at them, play and score goals. They had a few players out but take nothing away from our performance, it was brilliant.

"Obviously it was a good result for Man City [at Spurs], a good win, but we had to concentrate on ourselves today and I don’t think anyone else will beat Arsenal 8-2 this season."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home