Will Power

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Welbeck Enjoying The Ride

Things could not have gone much better for Danny Welbeck since he reported back for duty with the Reds last month.

A fine pre-season campaign, an England call-up and two impressive displays in United's win over City at Wembley and the league victory at West Brom has ensured a hugely positive start to the season for the 20-year-old, who spent last term on loan at Sunderland.

Welbeck feels he is reaping the benefits of his successful stint at the Stadium of Light and says the experience he has gained is invaluable.

"My main aim when I went to Sunderland was to get games in the Premier League. I did that and I think I handled it pretty well," Danny told ManUtd.com.

"When you're playing week in, week out it really helps your confidence. You get on a run with things which helps your form and you pick up so many little things along the way which are invaluable.

"I went through a good spell just before Christmas but unfortunately picked up an injury soon after. There are always going to be positives and negatives and I’ve learnt from both those experiences and come back to United a better person.

"I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone so far," he added. "I'm delighted to have been starting up front and I've put in a few decent performances.

"Playing games is what I want to be doing. I don’t want to be sitting on the bench. I want to be playing regularly for Manchester United. There’s nothing better than that and that's my main aim."

Playing alongside Wayne Rooney certainly won't do Welbeck's progression any harm.

"He’s one of the best strikers in the world and just playing with him means you’re always going to learn so much," continued Danny.

"Our communication levels are really good - we speak to each other all the time during games and the stuff he says really helps you."

The talk in the media already this season has been about Sir Alex's new generation of stars with Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, David De Gea, Ashley Young, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones all tipped to lead the club to more glory for years to come following the departure of the some of United's most experienced campaigners.

Welbeck admits it's certainly an exciting squad to be part of but isn't getting carried away by the hype.

"It's pretty exciting to be part of this squad but the media's been hyping this new generation stuff up quite a bit," he said.

"We're all just training as hard as possible and trying to improve in every single game. Hopefully we can build on the start we’ve made."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home