Will Power

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Young Gunning For Glory

Summer signing Ashley Young impressed on his first league appearance for United, utilising his impressive pace and passing ability to create both goals for the Reds in the season-opening victory at West Brom.

ManUtd.com's Gemma Thompson caught up with him recently for his thoughts on joining the champions and the challenges ahead...

How have you enjoyed being a Manchester United player so far?
It’s been fantastic. As a kid you always want to play for the best teams in the world, and Manchester United is the biggest. So to find out they were interested in me felt great. It’s just an honour to be here, playing under the manager and alongside world-class players.

Tell us how the move came about and when you first heard of United’s interest?
I actually found out about it in January. At the time we were in a bit of a sticky situation at Villa and in a battle to stay up, so the clubs said they’d talk again in the summer and see where things were. There were other clubs interested but as soon as I heard about the interest from United I just wanted to get here and sign. I knew it was the right club. Everyone, not just the players but all the staff as well, made me feel very welcome from day one.

Did you speak to any of United’s England contingent before you joined?
Yeah, of course. When you’re away with England you always talk about life at your club and everything I heard about United was fantastic. The lads told me how much I’d enjoy playing here and what a great place it is, and I got that feeling as soon as I joined. I’ve enjoyed every minute so far.

Describe your first meeting with the boss…
It was a good meeting. I’m not normally someone who gets nervous, but I was this time! As soon as I met him, though, my nerves disappeared. He made me feel really welcome and we had a good conversation. He used the word “challenge” and challenging myself is something I’ve done throughout my career. I’m really looking forward to the challenges ahead.

How does the United set-up compare to those at your previous clubs?
I think that just everything about the place here is impressive. It’s just such a big organisation with so many staff but it’s such a great place to be at, and everyone is so friendly.

Everyone talks about the great spirit within the dressing room – is that something you noticed straight away?
Absolutely. That team spirit has been a big factor behind all the success the club has had – knowing that everyone is pulling together really helps you when you’re out there on the pitch. The spirit and banter between the boys is brilliant, and everyone has that winning mentality. I noticed that in training from day one. That’s something the boss has instilled into everyone, it’s one of the main reasons why the club has been so successful, and hopefully I can play my part in helping carry that success on.

Would you say United are a team you’ve admired from afar for a while?
Yes, definitely. I’ve always watched them and whenever I’ve played against them it’s always been like playing a Cup final. Old Trafford is somewhere I’ve always enjoyed playing and to be able to play there regularly now is a real honour.

How daunting was it as an opposition player coming to play at Old Trafford?
It was daunting and exciting at the same time. I always enjoyed the challenge of it. The atmosphere and all the fans always stood out… it’ll be great to be a part of that now as a United player.

You’ve got the ability to play anywhere along the front line – do you enjoy playing in different positions?
Yeah, I do. At Aston Villa I played left, right and behind the striker. Being versatile is something I enjoy… if I’m asked to change position, I know I’m able to do that.

Did you always feel you would earn a big move like this at some stage in your career?
Yeah, I’ve always had confidence in myself and believed that I could play at the highest level. Some people said I couldn’t, but they also said I couldn’t play for England. That doesn’t bother me, though. I’ve got confidence in myself to know that I can do it

It must be exciting for you to see how a lot of young players have developed into world stars at this club?
Exactly. The manager plays a big part in that with his man-management skills. You look at the players he’s worked with and he’s made a lot of good players into great players. Hopefully he can do that with me.

Was there any player you were particularly looking forward to be playing with here?
All of them. There are world-class players throughout the team and to be able to play alongside them is a great opportunity for me.

What are you like around the dressing room?
I’m pretty lively and quite loud! [Laughs] Obviously, though, when you come to a new club I think it takes a little while for you to work out how things are. But I am one of those players who is a bit of a joker in the dressing room.

Have you got any matchday superstitions?
I always put my left sock and boot on first, but that’s about it. I usually just sit and listen to my iPod before kick-off. My music choice varies each week, it just depends what I fancy listening to that day.

Are you someone who gets nervous before the start of games?
No, not now. I haven’t been nervous for years. I remember I was when I first made my debut for Watford… for a lot of that season I used to get quite nervous. But that’s worn off over the years.

Will your experience of playing for your country help you rise to the challenge of playing on the biggest stage at club level?
I think so. Obviously playing for your country is different but the pressures are there with both. I think the experience I’ve had so far will definitely help.

Finally, have you set yourself any particular targets for the season?
I always set myself targets – but I keep them to myself. You’ll have to ask me nearer the end of the season!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home