Will Power

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Nani Aims To Be Number 1

Nani has enough faith in his ability to allow himself to dream of becoming the world's best player.

Four years since arriving at Old Trafford as an unknown bag of tricks, the Portuguese winger is starting to realise his undoubted potential as an attacking force.

The 24-year-old was voted player of the year by his Reds team-mates last season and has begun this campaign in exciting fashion, scoring three goals in the opening four games.

With confidence brimming, the wideman has set himself a lofty goal, though he recognises he’ll have to work hard to achieve it.

"That’s one dream I’ve got: to be the best in the world," Nani told Inside United, out on Wednesday.

"But I don’t let it frustrate me. I’m not like: 'I have to be the best in the world', because I have other priorities like winning trophies with the team.

"Hopefully, when I have finished playing football, people will say 'Nani was a fantastic player who won a lot of titles and beat records at the club' or something like that.

"I know I have the condition to be among the select best players in the world, but I have to work hard and show that.

"Sometimes that doesn’t happen, but what I can promise is that as long as I am a football player, I will do my best to try to get there."

It’s an echo of comments once made by Cristiano Ronaldo during his time at United, but Nani is tiring of the comparisons to his compatriot and close friend.

"For five years, every time the question is the same," he said. It’s all about Ronaldo. You have to be him. Are you doing the same? Do you think you can do it now?

"Always when I do something good it’s the same. When I do okay, it’s nothing. When I do something very good, they come with this question about him. But it’s okay. It doesn’t change anything in me.

"This is my fifth year here and people know what I can do. Sometimes I play a nice game, sometimes I play not such a fantastic game, but I think everyone knows me and what I can do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home