Will Power

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Owen Out To Take Chances

After laying the foundations for United’s Carling Cup stroll against Leeds, Michael Owen conceded that he must grasp every opportunity he gets.

The 31-year-old striker struck the Reds’ opening two goals at Elland Road, and bagged Sky Sports’ man of the match award after an impressive all-round display.

“The pressure’s on,” Owen said upon receiving his award. “You don’t get many chances and when you do get a chance, you have to perform because it’s going to be a couple of months before you see a pitch again.

“It’s nice to prove to yourself and everyone that you can still contribute, still play well. We’re coming into a good part of the season now, with the games coming thick and fast so hopefully the games will be shared round a bit.”

After hitting a contrasting brace – one scuffed finish, one top-corner rocket – Owen admitted that he still thrives on the buzz of scoring which has punctuated his career.

“One was a bit of a mishit, one as sweet as I hit them, really,” he conceded. “They were quite contrasting. It’s always nice to score, obviously, that’s what my game has been about all over the years. I also try to contribute in other areas as well and I was pleased to get the goals.

“At 31 I’ve still got a few years left in me. There are different roles you have throughout your career, and at the minute I’m doing that. I’m comfortable and trying to be a bit of an example to young kids to help them through.”

Michael was speaking to Sky Sports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home