Will Power

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chicharito: I Almost Quit Football

For the last 18 months defenders have struggled to pin down United's fast-moving, fast-talking goal machine, Javier Hernandez.

Thankfully, the club's official monthly magazine, Inside United, managed to halt the speedy Mexican for long enough to speak to him about his first impressions of Old Trafford, comparisons to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the day he almost quit football all together.

You can read part one below. Part two will follow on Sunday...

A few years ago, in Mexico, you thought about quitting football – how close did you come?
Very close. It was about three years ago and I had a lot of questions about whether or not this was the path God wanted me to follow. I wasn’t playing much football, I was being kept in the Reserves... I was disappointed younger players were coming through and getting ahead of me, and it really got me down, even away from football. I talked a lot with my parents, my grandparents, my sister and my girlfriend about my situation, and they helped me realise that this is what I was meant to do. I know now that I’m a very lucky guy and I’m glad I made the decision to keep playing. That experience taught me a lot. Sometimes, if you want something, but you don’t have it, then you can get mad with everyone around you and mad with yourself. I learnt it’s important to enjoy your life and enjoy your football. Ultimately, only God knows what path you will take and whether or not you will fulfil your dreams.

There is a perception that in ‘Latin’ countries, Real Madrid and Barcelona are acclaimed as the two biggest clubs in the world. What is the general view of Manchester United in Mexico?
I am definitely aware the interest has increased since I have been at Old Trafford [laughs]. I’m so thankful to my Mexican fans, though – I have only nice things to say about them and I’m very grateful for their support. But even before I signed, Manchester United was huge, definitely one of the biggest clubs. And it’s not only in South America. In the USA in pre-season, you could see how many people came to watch the team and look for autographs outside the hotel. I read something recently that said the club had something like 330 million fans in the world. That’s amazing. I’ve also seen some footage from when United went to Asia in 2009. The love that people have for this club is spread all over the world and it’s an honour to play here. If you say the words ‘Manchester United’ in any part of the world, people know who you’re talking about.

You watched United play Bayern Munich at Old Trafford on your first trip to Manchester. What do you remember about that experience, and what were your first impressions of the stadium and the fans?
It was an unbelievable feeling. I remember the atmosphere around the ground. It was such an important game and you could really feel it – the fans were great. I couldn’t believe I was sitting inside Old Trafford, the Theatre of Dreams. This was something I had only ever seen on television, only dreamt of being inside. I had heard so many people talk about Old Trafford, but to be there was something very special. It made me so excited to know that in three or four months I might be playing there.

You were visibly upset after the Champions League final against Barcelona. Is that the biggest disappointment you’ve had in your career so far?
No, not at all. Far from it. It was difficult, sure, but if you ask every person in the world if they want to play in a Champions League final for one of the biggest clubs, then I think they would say yes. It was a fantastic experience in my first season at the club. There are more positives than negatives from a personal point of view. The one big negative, of course, is that we lost the match. At least I know that we have a strong team and we have every chance of reaching another final. I’m confident there will be more opportunities for success in the future. So although it was disappointing not to win, those are the kind of occasions you aim to be involved in as a footballer. I’ve definitely had worse moments in football.

You suffered a concussion during pre-season, which meant you missed the start of this campaign; how did you get the knock and how do you feel now?
I just headed the ball on the wrong part of my head. It was a very strong cross, the ball moved in the air, and it hit me on the back of my head. A bit like the goal against Stoke, except a lot harder! It was a little scary, of course. I think all injuries – in football or in life – are scary and it’s never nice to have bad headaches or be throwing up. But I knew I would be OK. This had happened twice before in Mexico, when I’d clashed heads with another player. So I knew what was happening to me, I knew the symptoms and knew I’d feel OK again.

What’s your impression of defenders in the Premier League?
There are a lot of differences to the defenders in Mexico, but I think a lot of that is down to the style of play. I think you have to play differently in every position. The Premier League is quicker, it’s more physical, so you have to adapt. I would say defenders in England have to be a lot sharper, ready to make a tackle or a block in a split second. Because of that, I think some of the best defenders in the world play here – they have to, because the strikers are so good. But I can’t single out one defender over another as my toughest opponent. If I’m honest, I’ve never had an easy game in the Premier League.

People have compared you to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – had you heard of him before you joined United?
Of course. He was a legend at this club, just an unbelievable player. When all the people made those comparisons, the only thing I can say is that I’m not even 10 per cent of Ole. He was incredible. Just turn on MUTV and watch any of the old footage featuring him – he was special. To be honest, I don’t like comparisons very much. Back in Mexico I was always being compared with my father, who was also a striker, and I never liked that. I think everybody is different and deserves to be judged on their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home