Will Power

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chicha Happy As A Supersub

Javier Hernandez insists he has no qualms about acquiring the “super sub” tag following an explosive first 18 months with Manchester United.

The Mexican striker made his competitive debut for the Reds in August 2010 and has already netted 29 goals, with 10 of those coming off the bench. It’s an incredible record, especially given that, in the club’s history, only one player has bagged more goals as a substitute.

“Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,” Hernandez says, smiling. “I know.”

But even Ole took his time scoring them. Solskjaer’s 28 goals off the bench came from 150 substitute appearances; Chicharito already has 10 from 30.

“I don’t know what makes me effective as a substitute,” Hernandez says. “I don't have the answer.

“In football you can’t always come up with a reason, because of this or that. I don’t play any different [whether I start a game or come on as a substitute].

“If I play one minute, 10 minutes or 90 minutes I try to play the same. My mind is always to do my best and help my team. There are some times in the game when we need to score and perhaps I have had a little bit of luck.”

But is Hernandez concerned that the more he makes an impact from the bench the less he’ll find himself in the starting XI?

“I just want to help my team,” he says. “I don’t care if I’m on the bench. Last year I was on the bench at the start and then I was in the team towards the end of the season. The gaffer has the answers.

“Every player in every team wants to play as many minutes as possible, but I don’t care if I start or I’m a substitute. I just want to enjoy it. I am living a dream to play for Manchester United.”

Nobody would dispute that, although Hernandez has, at times this season, struggled to reach the dizzying heights he scaled in his maiden season as a Red. It’s understandable, though: a concussion injury suffered on the summer tour to the USA disrupted the Mexican’s pre-season preparations, while Danny Welbeck’s emergence as a leading figure in United’s frontline has further limited Chicharito’s opportunities.

The 23-year-old still has nine goals in 26 appearances in 2011/12, mind you, and remains upbeat.

“I think every season is difficult,” he says. “My first year was also very difficult. I’d changed all my life to come here to England.

“There isn’t going to be a season where everything is really good or a season when it’s really bad and I am suffering a lot. We need to keep the balance. Sometimes football is going to give you good things and sometimes it’s going to give you bad things. It’s part of the game.

“The only thing I can do is ensure my attitude is positive so I can help my team. The most important thing is that Manchester United wins all the games.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home