Will Power

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Park Won't Stand Still

Ji-sung Park has spoken of his pride at playing in his 200th game for the Reds in the dramatic draw at Chelsea, but the Korean insists he is now fully focused on achieving more milestones.

Park's introduction at Stamford Bridge - as an 86th-minute substitute - confirmed his double century as the Reds clawed their way back into an incredible game to earn an unlikely point.

The 30-year-old feels that in reaching the landmark he has proved to everyone that he is more than just a marketing tool for selling shirts and he remains hungry to achieve more in the future.

"I am very happy with my position at the moment. Some people did say those things [that he was only bought to sell shirts] when I came here. Now no-one says it," he told ManUtd.com.

"Many Asian players have seen they can play in Europe at a high level. I am very happy that I proved Asian players can deal with the high levels of European football.

"I have had some big injuries and missed quite a lot of games, but to still make 200 games is brilliant. I have tried to become a better player and my team-mates and the coaching staff have helped me a lot to improve my game.

"It is difficult to pick out a favourite game," he adds. "I have a lot of good memories, especially the days when I have lifted trophies. They are great feelings. That is why Manchester United players want to lift trophies again and again.

"The atmosphere at this club is such that when you reach one point, there is a determination straight away to reach other goals and aims. That is the mentality. It is same for me, I've got to 200 games, but I'm now looking forward to 300."

While Park is hugely grateful for the support he has received from his team-mates, the staff and the United fans during his six-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, he cites Sir Alex's influence as the biggest.

"Before I came here, I believed I could do it [play at the top level] but I wasn't sure. But the manager believed in me," continues Ji.

"He encouraged me to deal with these kinds of levels. He told me to fight. That made a big difference for me in adapting to English football."

Ji was talking to ManUtd.com and PA Sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home