Will Power

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nick Powell Interview


ManUtd.com catches up with new signing Nick Powell for his thoughts so far on becoming a Red...

So how’s your first week been as a Manchester United player?
It’s been great. The lads are really nice and they’ve all helped me through the first week. I feel like I’ve fitted in well with everyone. The training is different but it’s something I’m enjoying and just getting used to.

How did you feel the night before your first day?
[Smiles] I didn’t really sleep to be honest! I was quite nervous – it felt like I was starting a new school again. I tried to get involved with everyone straight away when I arrived and that helped. And as I said before everyone around the place has been really friendly and welcoming.

Tell us about your first day.
Walking into the dressing room and seeing my name on my peg was a great feeling and the first people I saw were Giggsy and Scholesy. I’m just used to seeing them on TV so it was pretty amazing to see them stood there. They came over straight away and welcomed me which was great. I’m really looking forward to playing and training with them - Scholesy is a midfield maestro and one of the best in the world ever and then you’ve got Giggsy who has been running the left wing for over 20 years.

What’s the most exciting thing about signing for Manchester United?
It’s the fact I’ve joined not only the best team in England, but one of the best in the world. They’ve won every trophy going on numerous occasions and that’s something I want to be part of.

How does the set-up here compare to that at Crewe?
It’s completely different. Everything is so much bigger and there are so many more people who work here. Everything has just grown in size.

What’s the biggest difference you’ve noticed?
Just the vast size of the place and also the intensity of the training is completely different. You see the players on TV and you think to yourself I wish I could play with them and do what they do and to now be part of that and see what the players do in training every day is amazing.

What training have you done so far?
I went straight into working with the first team on some possession work and we’ve done the ‘boxes’ as well although I got nutmegged on my first day! Scholesy is the best player at boxes by a country mile. He’s an unbelievable trainer. It’s amazing to see how everyone wants to win at this club even in training. That’s great for me because it’ll help me push on. It was much more relaxed at Crewe and you felt in a comfort zone there, but now I’m here I know I have to work hard every day and be at my best. Having that challenge will only help me progress.

How was your first meeting with Sir Alex?
[Laughs] It was a bit daunting, but he’s a really nice person and he was one of the main reasons why I wanted to come here. He told me things are in my own hands in terms of how I do and how far I can go here and he told me I’d get my chance if I proved myself. I hope I can do that.

Have you set yourself any particular targets?
I have, yes, but I don’t want to say what they are at the moment!

How much are you looking forward to going on tour?
It’ll be great and it’ll be nice to spend some time with the lads and get to know everyone properly. I’m excited to be going to some different countries as well. We didn’t go anywhere with Crewe last summer and now I’m going to South Africa and China – I can’t wait.

Have the other players told you about what to expect on tour when it comes to the fan reaction?
Yeah they’ve said that you can’t really move in China because there are so many fans everywhere. I think it’ll show me how big this club is on a worldwide scale. I’ve never been outside England with Crewe so to see how many fans United have in different countries will be brilliant.

You must be desperate to just get out there and play now…
Absolutely. I’ve proved myself at a certain level but I want to prove myself here at the top level. I hope I can do well.

Do you see yourself more as a midfielder or a forward?
I prefer to be called a midfielder, but I guess you could say I’m an attacking midfielder. I’m just a player who tries to create things and looks for holes to try and go forward into.

You ended last season with a trophy for Crewe in the League Two play-off – has that given you a taste for more?
Absolutely. At the start of last season we were just hoping we could be up there challenging for a play-off place. To win a trophy was phenomenal for us and it’s definitely given me the taste for winning more. I hope I can play my part in helping United do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home