Will Power

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rooney Relishes RvP Link-up

Wayne Rooney is relishing the prospect of developing a winning partnership with new signing Robin van Persie.

The Dutchman, who fired in 37 goals to pip Wayne to the Barclays Premier League Golden Boot last season, completed his move to Manchester United on Friday and is expected to play some part in the Reds' opening 2012/13 fixture at Goodison Park on Monday night.

Rooney shouldered much of the goal-scoring responsibility last season and told ManUtd.com and the Press Association that he can't wait to share the glory with United's new signing.

"It's great for the players and the fans to sign a player of Robin's quality," he said. "The two of us were fighting for that Golden Boot last season and now the two of us are hopefully playing together.

"Obviously we'll have to work over the next few weeks and try to develop an understanding. Hopefully it will come quite quickly and we can form a good partnership."

Rooney refuted suggestions that van Persie's arrival would help ease pressure on himself and admitted he was still unsure what role he would be asked to play this season.

"I haven't thought about how my role will change," he said. "I only trained with him on Friday for the first time. No matter what role the manager wants me or Robin to play we will have to do that.

"I know over the last two or three years I've been the one scoring the goals. But you can't do that without the players to give you the assists.

"For me, there are still high expectations and I set them for myself. The only thing that might change is that we might be able to share the goals out a little more.

"We also have the likes of Danny Welbeck and Chicharito, who can come in and do a great job. There are four or five of us fighting for those two places up front.

"It would be great for us to score more goals. That's effectively what we lost the league on last season."

Sir Alex Ferguson has already declared his satisfaction with the forward options he has at his disposal this season, and many Reds fans are excited by the prospect of van Persie partnering Wayne Rooney.

"Of course I'd love to play with Wayne," van Persie said. "I’ve said many times before he is a world-class player all-round.

"When I look at players, I like to see they can adapt to everything, and he can score goals and make assists, and he works hard.

"Scholes and Giggs are world-class and have been proving it for 20 years now. That had a big impact, definitely. I'd like to say we are all in it together to achieve greatness. Every single player is as important."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home