Will Power

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Jones Prefers Centre-back Role

Phil Jones has grown in maturity in 18 months at United and has looked more confident and commanding in his favoured centre-half role this season. But while he is happy for Sir Alex to utilise his versatility, he hopes it won’t detract from his true calling at the heart of the Reds’ defence.

Jones was excellent in a central defensive position alongside Chris Smalling against Fulham in the 4-1 FA Cup fourth round win on Saturday, and yet he also stood out in a typically rampaging midfield role against Tottenham in the league.

The 20-year-old knows which position he prefers, saying: “I have said all along that [centre-back] is where I feel most comfortable. I understand and read the game better there. But wherever I am asked to play I will play there.”

Asked if promising midfield displays might prove detrimental to those long-term aims, he joked: “Yes, I kind of shoot myself in the foot a bit. But I am at Manchester United and I love playing for this club and I am happy to play anywhere.”

Few clubs in world football can rival United’s broad range of talents in that position; with the experience and wily knowhow of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, the consistency of Jonny Evans and the burgeoning promise of Smalling and Jones. That is precisely why Jones will take minutes when and where he can get them.

“I didn’t have a great start to the season but hopefully I can push my way into the side now and get some games under my belt,” he told PA Sport ahead of Wednesday’s Barclays Premier League clash with Southampton. “They are a good team irrespective of whether they have got a new manager or not. They have got some good players in the squad. We will have to be wary of that.”

United are challenging for three trophies heading into the crucial last four months of the season and Jones says that Sir Alex is encouraging his players to aim for a triple triumph. “Definitely,” Phil says, “that is what the gaffer said to us before the [Fulham] game and that is exactly what we are going out to achieve.”

Jones, however, isn't getting waylaid by the idea, adding: “The Treble is too far in the distance. We have to concentrate on the games coming up. We have a tough game on Wednesday against Southampton and that won’t be easy.

“We have to focus on what is in front of us now. We have lots of games coming up. There are a lot of tricky games and it is a tough period but we know if we have everyone fit then with the big squad we have we will be fine. We have a good team here and a solid foundation. You can see that on the pitch with all the lads and in training. It is a laugh but we are focused and are really gelling.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home