Will Power

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Moyes: How I Got The Job

David Moyes spoke about becoming the new Manchester United manager for the first time on Friday, and the former Everton boss revealed the extraordinary circumstances in which he inherited the job from his recently retired predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson.

Speaking in front of the world’s media during his first-ever press conference with the Reds, the 50-year-old also outlined a desire to replicate the success that has been enjoyed at Old Trafford throughout history, whilst expressing his plan to maintain the traditions that embody the club.

“I'm incredibly privileged I was given the opportunity and grateful to Sir Alex and the board for making it happen,” David said. “It was a really strange situation for me. I had no idea whatsoever. I knew nothing at all about it until Sir Alex gave me a call and asked me to come to his house.

“I was expecting him to say 'I'm going to take one of your players’ but the first thing he told me was that he was retiring. I said, ‘Yeah, when?’ He was never going to retire. He said ‘Next week’ and his next words were ‘And you're the next Manchester United manager’. I was shocked but also incredibly thrilled that I was given the opportunity to manage Manchester United.”

“I have to say, whoever was going to take on this job knows the job at hand. The manager before was incredible, somebody everybody in football looks up to. There's probably no better. He comes from a great list of Scottish managers; Stein, Shankly... And Sir Alex is certainly up there.

“All I can do is do what David Moyes has done before. I'll definitely continue the traditions of Manchester United but I also need to put my own stamp on the club. Sir Alex did the same. I'm very fortunate that I'm taking over the champions of England. Not many managers have that same starting point. I have to say, Sir Alex and the board have been brilliant with me.”

Of course, Moyes has inherited a team of champions following last season’s heroics in the Barclays Premier League and although the Scot is determined to retain that crown this campaign.

“My job is to continue the success at this club,” David told reporters. “This club is about wining trophies. I'm hungry to do it, I'm driven to succeed. It won't change me, though. I'm determined to get the first one [trophy] on the board.

“I'm inexperienced in a lot of areas and there are some brilliant managers who could have taken this role. But the biggest confidence I take into it is Sir Alex Ferguson telling me that I was the next Manchester United manager.

“United had a great season in the PL last year and we'll do everything we can to add to the squad. This club will always go after the best players and we'll do what we can to remain at the top.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home