Will Power

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Moyes: Robin's Impressed Me


Manchester United manager David Moyes has likened Robin van Persie to fellow Dutchman Ruud van Nistelrooy after being greatly impressed from working first-hand with the 30-year-old striker.

Moyes admired ex-Old Trafford idol van Nistelrooy during his time as Everton manager and can see similarities in the way that van Persie goes about his business in the Reds shirt.

"Robin's movement and his understanding of the game with his hold-up play and movement in the box is sensational," declared Moyes. "It really is top-notch.

"There are some things I don't even know if you can coach, nearly instinctive things that you pick up if you're a top player. I used to wonder how Ruud van Nistelrooy scored as many goals as he used to get. I think he was an unbelievable goalscorer.

"I used to show my centre-forwards and ask how did van Nistelrooy score, how did he do it? But Robin has got a little bit of that as well, something different. An ability to score all different types of goals."

Van Persie enjoyed his first campaign at Old Trafford, top scoring in the Barclays Premier League, and has already netted four times in the first two competitive fixtures of 2013/2014.

"I have to say, ever since he joined up in Sydney, he's been terrific," said Moyes. "We've tried to look after him correctly and do all the right things which he needs to prepare him right.

"The biggest thing for me is how much he's bought into it with his work ethic. There was a period in the game last weekend when he worked back after about 70 minutes and has done a job for the team. The big thing, for me, is how much of a team player he is being.

"He's in great nick. He looks after himself and had a really good season without injury last year, a clear run that he got good confidence from.

"We did know he had a couple of spells he went through when he didn't score but it happens with forwards at times. Manchester United did the right thing and tried to play him through it.

"Overall, I've been really impressed by his attitude and the way he has gone about his work. He's been great to work with, he really has. I asked him how many medals he'd won and he said one but I saw a glint in his eye to say: 'I need more than one' and so do I!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home