Will Power

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Evans Welcomes Sunderland Tie

Jonny Evans is excited to face his former club Sunderland during next month’s two-legged Capital One Cup semi-final, having spent two spells on loan with the North East club.

The Northern Irishman moved to the Stadium of Light as a youngster in January 2007, helping Roy Keane’s Black Cats secure promotion to the Premier League before returning the following January to aid their successful fight to retain top-flight status.

Evans has plenty of fond memories from his time on Wearside. When speaking to the media after Wednesday’s quarter-final win over Stoke City, the 25-year-old explained why he's delighted with the semi-final draw.

“I had two loans spells there and I loved my time at Sunderland," Jonny outlined. "In my first season there we won the Championship with Roy Keane as manager and then the next season I went back there and we managed to stay in the Premier League which was a good achievement at the time.

“It gave me a good platform to return to United and fight for a first-team spot. I was very fortunate with my loan moves. I went to Royal Antwerp which was a good experience and then had two spells at Sunderland and each of my loan spells were about progression in terms of the quality of the opposition. And it has definitely benefitted me.”

United are favourites to seal a place to the final against either Manchester City or West Ham. However, having studied Sunderland under new manager Gus Poyet, Evans is wary of the challenge ahead.

“I watched Sunderland beat Chelsea and not only are they fighting for Gus Poyet but he has also got them playing some good football," said Evans. "They controlled large parts of the game against Chelsea. They had some good possession. So it will be a more difficult game than people will imagine.”

The Reds sealed progress to the last four thanks to Wednesday’s relatively comfortable 2-0 win over Stoke, a match that was temporarily postponed because of the poor visibility conditions caused by a torrential hailstorm at the Britannia Stadium.

Although the decision to return to the sanctuary of the changing room was welcomed by the players, Evans revealed that his mind was split with regards to bad weather.

“We couldn’t see; the wind was blowing the hailstones into our eyes. They were the hardest hail stones I’ve ever felt. They were actually coming into your eyes so you couldn’t keep your eyes open. You’re torn about whether to stay on and give it the 'hard man' look or just get to the shelter of the dugout – I made sure I made a bee line for the dugout!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home