Will Power

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Vidic Pleased To See United Flourishing

Nemanja Vidic insists he has no regrets about leaving Manchester United, though the Serbian is delighted to see his former team-mates flourishing under new manager Louis van Gaal.

Vidic called time on his illustrious Reds career in May and joined Inter Milan, leaving Old Trafford with 300 appearances and 10 major honours to his name, not to mention the respect of everyone associated with the club following his successful stint as captain.

Intriguingly, the 32-year-old came up against United during this week’s International Champions Cup match in Washington DC, where van Gaal’s men claimed a penalty shoot-out victory. Speaking afterwards, Vidic explained why he enjoyed the occasion.

“It was strange,” he admitted. “I faced Wayne [Rooney] and [Juan] Mata many times in training but it's different when you play them in a proper match. But, in a way, I am glad I saw them. They are all happy as well, which I am glad to see. They look like they are enjoying it. It was a good day."

Asked if he has any reservations about leaving the club, given how promising the van Gaal era is shaping up, Vidic said: “I don’t have any regrets. That's in the past now. I have answered so many questions about it. I think the club is going through transition - United is and so is Inter. I can just speak about what is happening now. What is past is past. What I must do now is look to the future, the same as Man United have to do. I am a fan of Manchester United and I hope both teams do well this year.”

United have gleaned three successive victories in America and while little can be taken from pre-season friendlies, Vidic believes van Gaal is having a positive impact on the players - who are visibly enjoying the Dutchman’s reign.

“I believe a manager like Van Gaal, who has a lot of experience, knows what he is doing. I was in the dressing room with the players and the rest of the people. They all looked positive and happy with everything that is happening at the moment. That is a good sign. I am pleased to see that."

Widely regarded as one of United’s greatest-ever centre-backs, Vidic is well placed to comment on the current crop of defenders and is confident that Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones will blossom in van Gaal’s 3-5-2 formation.

Asked if the trio can step up in his absence, Nemanja said: “Of course, I was sure of that even when I played with them. I said then they have really good potential, physically and technically. They are really good and you have to understand they are young as well. They are still 23 and 24 years old. This is now the age when they are improving.

“They are getting better and better every year. I thin, in the next two years, they will be some of the best defenders in the league. I think they will prove that this season and I wish them all the best.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home