Will Power

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fellaini: I'm Fit And Determined To Impress


Marouane Fellaini is determined to score more goals for Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United after his first strike for the club helped salvage a 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion on Monday.

The hulking Belgian replaced Ander Herrera at half-time when the Reds trailed to Stephane Sessegnon’s stunning opener and, brilliantly, the substitution paid an immediate dividend as his right-footed shot rocketed past Boaz Myhill in the 48th minute.

Saido Berahino slotted past David De Gea just after the hour mark before Daley Blind’s late equaliser secured a deserved point in the Midlands. Speaking after the match, Fellaini was happy with his performance but frustrated by the result.

“It was my first goal this season and for Manchester United as well, so it was good for me,” said Fellaini. “But the result was a disappointment because our two next games are very difficult games. For the confidence, it is not so good."

Asked what instructions he had received, he continued: “I have to put pressure [on the opposition] and go into the box. I did that and I scored, so it was good for me and the team.

"It was a good feeling, I have waited for a long time for this moment and now I have scored, so I hope to score some more goals this season.”

Fellaini signed for United from Everton in the summer of 2013 and experienced a difficult first season that was plagued by injury and indifferent results. The manager who signed him – David Moyes – was then dismissed in April and later replaced by Louis van Gaal.

However, the fit-again midfielder is determined to prove his worth at United and justify the trust placed in him by his new boss. “It was very difficult but I work hard every day and I know that when I am 100 per cent fit then I can be dangerous,” Marouane said.

“Football is like this, sometimes you have bad moments and that was one. But I am ready for the challenge and to play every game. I am happy here and the manager has shown trust in me. Every day in training, I work hard and after that the manager makes a decision.”

Fellaini's influential appearance later earned praise from his fellow midfielder Blind, who also notched his first United goal during Monday's draw. "He came in and scored a fast goal, a great goal I think. His goal gave us a lot of trust in the game again and that’s why we created a lot of chances after that also. I thought he played well."