Will Power

Friday, April 24, 2015

Paul McGrath's Verdict On Five United Centre-backs

Former Manchester United defender Paul McGrath hopes the current crop of players in his old position see out their learning curve at Old Trafford.

So far in 2015, five centre-backs have played for the Reds in the Barclays Premier League and the 1985 FA Cup-winning legend feels they all have something to offer as the post-Ferdinand and Vidic era unfolds.

Ahead of his appearance as a pundit on MUTV's Matchday Live for the Everton game on Sunday, this is what McGrath had to say to ManUtd.com about the quintet in question (listed with their 2014/15 records):

Chris Smalling (20 starts, 4 sub appearances, 4 goals)
"Chris is very sharp and quick going forward - I love the speed that he has. And a bit like myself, he likes to roam with the ball at his feet. It's hard to compare centre-backs now to players from my era though, because they can't go into fifty-fifty tackles like we used to do!"

Marcos Rojo (22 starts, 2 sub appearances, 1 goal)
"I watched him in the World Cup last summer and I thought then, before he signed for United, that he is a class act. I like the way he plays football – he’s not afraid to make a pass and he’s not afraid to receive one, although he’s perhaps more of an out-and-out defender than some of the others who like to move forward with the ball."

Phil Jones (20 starts, 1 sub appearance)
"I have to say I really admire Phil Jones. He's one of those defenders who’s prepared to put his head in where it hurts. He looks like he would go through a brick wall for you."

Jonny Evans (14 starts, 2 sub appearances)
"It's difficult to answer when people ask me which current centre-back most reminds me of my playing style. But I suppose it could be Jonny Evans. He wins his fair share in the air and he also seems calm on the ball. He likes to play a bit of football, get it back and knock it around."

Paddy McNair (12 starts, 3 sub appearances)
"I thought he was incredible against Chelsea. He showed a maturity level that I would never have shown at that age (19). If a space opens up in front of you as a defender and you know you’re quick enough to go through it without getting caught, then you should go through it. He did that a few times at Chelsea and even tested Courtois with a shot. He seems to be very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

"I think each of them has qualities that are going to benefit them over the next few years. It’s lovely that they’re all so young, still with some learning to do. It would be great to see them stay and do that learning with Manchester United because they deserve to, they’re all really good players. I think we’re well covered at the back."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home