Will Power

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Morgan: Tour Has Helped Me Settle

Hours after completing his move from Southampton earlier this month, Morgan Schneiderlin flew to the USA with his new Manchester United team-mates for Tour 2015, presented by Aon. And that whirlwind start has helped him quickly settle into life with the Reds...

How has the tour been for you?
It has been good. It’s a good thing for me to come here and spend every hour of the day with the players. It’s nice to get to know them better. We are training very well and trying to adapt and understand as quickly as possible what the manager wants. We have had some good games and good results, but the most important thing is the fitness.

Do you feel very much part of the squad now?
Yes, absolutely and, as I said, there is no better way to adapt to a new club than spending every day with my team-mates. The tour has been good for me and everyone has made me feel welcome from the first minute. I speak good English, too, so that has made things easier.

Has anything surprised you about being on tour with United and the size of the club?
I can’t say it’s surprised me as I was always very aware of how big it is and what it asks of the players. The people around the world love Manchester United and the atmosphere around the club is crazy. I knew it would be like that before I came.

This must be a slightly different pre-season to what you’re used to…
Yes, at Southampton we went to quiet places like Austria. Some people recognised us but it’s the complete opposite to here!

Can it help your game to play with experienced midfielders like Bastian Schweinsteiger and Michael Carrick?
Of course it will help my game. I am not the finished product; I am just 25, which is the middle age for a professional footballer. Training week-in and week-out with these players helps you learn and improve your game. I’m ready for it.

There are lots of midfielders at United – how intense is the competition for places?
It’s very intense. There are a lot of games in the Premier League, Champions League and domestic cups and it’s good competition for us. We all work hard together but, of course, it’s the manager’s choice who will play – that’s normal. I want to play and the other players want to play, but the manager chooses the team and you always have to push to get into it. At a club like United you would expect nothing else.

Are you looking forward to facing some of your countrymen against PSG?
Yes, I know some of them from the national team. It’ll be very nice to see them. It will be a massive game and our last game before the season starts, so it’s very important to finish the tour in a good way. The most important thing is to be ready for 8 August.

Have you thought about playing your first game at Old Trafford yet?
It will be a dream come true but I have to earn my place. Every time I’ve played at the stadium it has been amazing and a great atmosphere, but I played on the opposite side. Now, walking out in the red shirt being a Manchester United player will be amazing.

Have you set yourself any goal target for the season?
No, not with goals – I am not a striker, so I am not obsessed with scoring goals. My aim is to improve my game, help the team, do my job on the pitch and if I can score goals then great. The main thing for me is to stay fit and give my best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home