Will Power

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Romero: The First Interview


Immediately after signing a three-year deal to join Manchester United, Sergio Romero gave his first exclusive interview as a Red to the club’s official channel MUTV. Here's a transcript of what the Argentina goalkeeper had to say…

Sergio, welcome to Manchester United. How does it feel to be here at the club?
Thanks very much. I'm very happy. It's something I've been waiting for for a long time, to join a really big club like Manchester United. And I hope I can give something back to the club now that they've put their trust in me.

You must be really looking forward to playing and trying to win trophies with this club?
Absolutely. From the very first moment that I heard there was a possibility of joining this club, I have been thinking constantly about lots of things: playing for the club, training with the other players, getting to know my teammates and winning silverware for United.

You worked with the manager during your time in Holland with AZ Alkmaar, so what is he like in your opinion as a manager and as a person?
He is a great manager. He’s the kind of boss who puts you at ease and from the first moment that I was given the goalkeeper shirt by him in 2007, he told me that I would play an important part in his squad. It was a vital period for me because from the moment I signed for him, my career started to really take off. He is someone who has been very important in my life. He helped me a lot when I arrived in Holland as I didn’t speak Dutch and I didn’t speak English but he spoke Spanish. He is very honest and open as a person, he helps and reassures you and he cares about every player and every member of staff.

So, how can you improve this team?
Well, I’m here to help and to work hard whether it’s been for my club or my country. I’ve always worked hard with my teammates so that I’m 100 per cent ready for action when the manager calls on me.

What do you make of this United squad at the moment?
It’s a really strong squad. A team like United with these really great players will always compete strongly in every competition that we enter. The club showed last season that it is getting stronger and it will continue to do that. If we can put all of the manager’s instructions and thoughts into action we can achieve a lot.

What do you know about the club in terms of the club’s history and the players here?
Well, part of the history of the club is sitting next to the manager every day in the form of Ryan Giggs. He’s won everything there is to win at the club and he’s still here. He’s lived his whole life at this club. You have to think of all the titles that this club has won and all the players who have developed their game here at the club. They’ve all played an important role in the Manchester United story. Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world because of the history. That’s why it’s such a dream come true to be sitting here now, wearing this shirt.

Here at the club, there are plenty of players who can speak Spanish so that will help you settle in too…
Without a doubt. Yes, of course it’s always going to be much easier if there are players who speak Spanish here. I’m learning English so that my language will improve and I’ll be able to speak much more easily with everybody in the club.

Do you have a message for the United fans?
I just want to show them how happy I am to be here. I’ve travelled here without my wife and my children in the short term to come and make the most of this fantastic opportunity. I’ve explained to my family that this is a huge opportunity for us. We are very happy indeed and I’m going to work really hard for the club and for my family to make this work.

Credit: Manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home