Will Power

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Young Reds Want More Goals


Jesse Lingard and Adnan Januzaj are determined to add more goals to their games and both were delighted to score influential strikes during Saturday’s 3-1 win over Barcelona.

Lingard, who has become known for impressing on pre-season tours, stepped off the bench on 62 minutes and bagged a goal just three minutes later when he latched onto Tyler Blackett’s cross to put United 2-0 up with a neat finish into the bottom corner.

Januzaj, meanwhile, wrapped up the win in added time with an excellent turn and finish after the La Liga champions had got back into the match via Rafinha’s superb volley on 90 minutes.

“I obviously feel very happy,” Lingard told MUTV’s Stewart Gardner after the final whistle. “We had a game plan and we stuck to that game plan and it's good that we won today.”

Asked to recount his second-half goal, Jesse continued: “Andreas did well to get it in midfield. He's played it out to Wilson and then Willo's committed the defender. Tyler Blackett’s pulled it back and it was lucky that I was there, on the edge of the box, and I've stuck it home.

“I've wanted to add goals to my game since last season. I scored a couple of goals while I was on loan for Derby County [last season] and it's good to get off the mark again now.”

Januzaj also caught the eye as part of a young team that included seven players who have played for United’s youth sides and, having scored his first goal since 5 April 2014, during a 4-0 win over Newcastle at St James' Park, the Belgium international was clearly elated.

“I am very happy to score my goal as it’s been a long time,” the youngster exclusively told ManUtd.com. “I know it’s a friendly but playing Barcelona is always a big game to play in as they are a very good team. I think everyone did well and we deserved to win the game.”

Expanding on his point, Januzaj continued: “A victory like that gives everyone a lot of confidence. Of course the most important game is against Tottenham in the Premier League, but we have to keep doing well on tour and we are very happy with this result.”

Januzaj played as a lone striker after stepping off the bench in the second half and performed brilliantly, later earning praise from the manager. “I’m enjoying the role up front," he said. "It’s a new position but I really like because it gets me closer to the goal. I hope I can keep scoring more for the team.”

Lingard made his competitive debut for United on the opening day of last season, when he suffered a serious knee injury in the first half of the 2-1 defeat to Swansea City. He didn’t play again for the Reds that campaign, but recovered in time to enjoy a fruitful loan spell at Derby County.

Now that he is fully fit again, and impressing the manager on another pre-season tour, he is understandably keen to make the most of the opportunities that might be on the horizon.

“I worked hard to get where I am today,” says Jesse. “I've suffered a lot of setbacks but I'm glad I'm here now. Most people get injured, it's part and parcel of football, but it's how you react. I went to Derby, played a few games there and built my confidence up a bit. I'm glad I scored here today.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home