Will Power

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Young: Eyes On The Prizes

Ashley Young says Manchester United are determined to get back amongst the silverware this season, also insisting the Barclays Premier League leaders are focused on a title challenge.

The Reds’ title aspirations were given a timely boost on Saturday when Manchester City’s 4-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur, coupled with United’s 3-0 victory over Sunderland at Old Trafford, put Louis van Gaal’s men top of the table after seven matches played.

Some may still see United as a work in progress with new players settling in and van Gaal only in his second campaign with the club, but the Dutchman and his players are aiming to make their mark this season, with Young insisting every trophy is on the team’s radar.

“We came into the season saying we wanted to fight for the title,” he told MUTV. “A club like United wants to fight for everything we’re involved in – the league, the Champions League and both the cup competitions. We want to get ourselves back to winning silverware.

“We’re doing well in the league but there is a long way to go, so we just take each game as it comes.”

Young came off the bench to set up Juan Mata for United’s third goal in the triumph over the Black Cats on Saturday. He joined the fray on the left wing after impressing at left-back as cover for the injured Luke Shaw in the Capital One Cup win over Ipswich Town three days earlier. And the 30-year-old, who showed his quality as a wing-back last term as well, is ready to play wherever he is needed.

“I’m a versatile player who can play there as well as on the wing,” Ashley said. “I played there during the week in the cup and if the manager calls upon me to play there again I’ll go out there and give 110 per cent as I always do.

“I feel comfortable at left-back and playing wing-back. It’s a different role for me compared to left wing or left midfield, there’s more of the defensive side to think about but I’m capable of doing that. I felt comfortable and, as I said, if the manager picks me to play there I’ll do everything I need to do.”

Young added that the man he covered for against Ipswich, Shaw, is in good spirits despite the terrible injury he suffered against PSV Eindhoven, and Young is keeping in regular contact with his team-mate as he continues his recovery.

“Everyone has been in touch with him. I have personally spoken to him quite a bit. As the manager said he’s very positive,. He’s got to stay that way because obviously it’s a long road to recovery. But he’ll have the medical department looking after and knowing exactly what he needs to do to come back.

“Even the day after it happened he was positive and upbeat which I think for a lot of the players and staff was surprising after such a horrific injury, and when he returns to the training ground everyone will be there for him.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home