Will Power

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Herrera: My Obsession With Football

Ander Herrera lived up to the billing provided by Juan Mata as a football obsessive when Inside United pressed the popular midfielder on his love of the beautiful game.

Mata told the club's official magazine of his friend's passion for the sport and Herrera revealed it stems from attending matches with his father, who worked as a scout for Real Zaragoza. He confesses to regularly sitting in front of the TV at home - "I don't care, I watch all games!" - and would clearly be a fan if he was not lighting up the Barclays Premier League with the Reds.

"I feel at home at Manchester United," he said. "I am enjoying the best league in the world. I think it has the best organisation, the best stadiums, the best atmosphere.

"I remember playing against Cambridge in the FA Cup and we waited 25 minutes because the Cambridge fans were coming on a bus and they were delayed. I was thinking that’s really, really good because they are thinking about the fans and football is about fans. I always say the same – if the footballing world doesn’t think of the fans, it’s going to lose the passion and the love. So I was impressed but I was very happy because the fans come first here."

Herrera was asked if he would attend a match with the away supporters if he was ever unavailable due to injury or suspension.

"Yes, of course," he replied. "I would like to go to one away game with the fans one day because our away fans are unbelievable. They are always singing and very noisy and they help us a lot. That is why I celebrate my goals with them because I have to say ‘thank you’ to them for supporting us. They travel around the world, they spend the money, they spend the time so I think we have to be very, very thankful.

"[When they chant my name] I feel really, really proud. When you know United’s history and that our fans have seen big players – George Best, Bobby Charlton, Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney - when they sing your name it’s a very proud moment."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home