Will Power

Friday, December 25, 2015

Memphis: Failure Isn't An Option

Memphis Depay says the pressure of producing the goods at Manchester United will never crack him as he insists he will hit top gear in the near future.

The Netherlands international is working hard in training and feeling more comfortable on the field, admitting things are coming naturally to him now, as he adapts to the rigours of the Barclays Premier League.

It has not been a smooth transition from the Dutch Eredivisie to England's top flight, despite a stunning display in the Old Trafford win over Club Brugge in the Champions League play-off, but the 21-year-old remains relaxed and fully confident of his ability to achieve his ambitions at the club.

In an exclusive interview with AD in his homeland, posted by Memphis on his official Facebook page, the winger gave the impression that the sparks will start flying again soon as he is finding his feet in Manchester.

"Becoming the best player in the world," he said. "That's the ultimate goal - and I can cope with that. Believe me: that pressure will never crack me.

"It's frustrating. I know I can do a lot better. I just had to settle in and get used to the football in the Premier League, to my new life in England. Of course, you want everything to go smoothly, but sometimes that isn’t always realistic. But failure just isn't an option."

Memphis, who confirmed he had concrete interest from Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain before joining the Reds, admits there is a huge difference between playing for PSV Eindhoven and representing United in one of the toughest divisions on the planet.

"I know when my performance is good or bad," he stated. "What matters is to keep focusing on the positive. Work hard. Every day, I try to become a better player. Doing that, you don’t think about your transfer fee or wearing a legendary number.

"The difference [here] is enormous. Defenders are physically so strong, very fit and aren’t afraid of anything. That was new to me, especially during my first few games. I had to get used to it. [At PSV], it wasn't necessary to be on top of my game every match. When playing in the Premier League, you have to. You are pushed to get the most out of yourself. Good just isn’t enough when playing for United."

The 21-year-old also touched upon his physique after revealing some time ago he has gained 11 pounds since the last World Cup.

"My body-fat percentage is as low as ever," he said. "It's pure muscle. And that's not because I’m pumping myself up at the gym, I never do that. During the first few months, I felt slightly slower when playing but now, and I put a lot of effort in training [on] my starting speed, I feel I'm improving. Getting better and better.

"Actually, in all perspectives, I'm way ahead of where I was three or four months ago. The only thing is now I have to show it on the pitch. Scoring goals and assisting my team-mates. I have to think less about the moves I make. It feels more natural. The goal against Watford, but also the game against Club Brugge, I just know: there are many more to come. Mark my words. Don’t worry."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home