Will Power

Monday, February 29, 2016

Van Gaal "Proud" After Beating Arsenal


Louis van Gaal admitted he was “proud” of his Manchester United side following Sunday’s entertaining 3-2 win over Arsenal at Old Trafford in the Barclays Premier League.

Here are the main points from the manager’s post-match interview with MUTV…

Van Gaal’s view of the result: “I am very proud but also very satisfied and happy because we have done it against Shrewsbury Town and we have done it against Midtjylland, against the pressure, and now we have done it against a very good team in the Premier League, so I am very pleased.”

Praise for a second win in three days: “I have said already in advance of the match that it is not fair that they have had four days in between matches and we have only two. We had to cope with it and we have done it. It is remarkable.”

An assessment of Marcus Rashford’s two-goal performance: “He was playing great, I think, maybe better than against Midtjylland because the resistance was higher and he did things better. He also scored two goals and I am very pleased with him. I think he shall be a very special talent.”

On his decision to play Tim Fosu-Mensah at left-back: “I was thinking for a long time that he could play better as a full-back. I said that to Warren [Joyce] and Warren has tried him out in the second team, and I think he did it very well. We have problems at the full-back positions and that is why. Then he came in against Arsenal and did fantastically. He didn’t make any mistake and that is fantastic.”

How is Marcos Rojo’s injury? "I don’t think it is serious; it was a kick. We have to wait and see, of course. It was also a good position that I gave him the first minutes to play. My plan was already 60 minutes. He didn’t reach the 60 minutes because of the kick.”

The manager’s reaction to his theatrical dive to the ground, when remonstrating with the fourth official: “I was a little bit emotional, too much I think. It is not good for the authority of the referee and the linesman and the fourth referee. I have apologised and they have accepted it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home