Will Power

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Rooney Provides Update On His Injury

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has revealed that he hopes to return to full training within seven to 10 days, having been missing through injury since 13 February.

The captain last featured in the Barclays Premier League defeat to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light and has since missed 10 fixtures in all competitions. However, while speaking as an ITV pundit ahead of England’s friendly with Holland on Tuesday, he gave a positive update on his return.

“Hopefully, I think if everything goes to plan, I am back outside running now, then I will hope to be back in full training within the next week or 10 days so I am not too far away,” Rooney explained.

As well as missing important games with United, Rooney has also been forced to watch his England team-mates from the stands and he was at home on Saturday night when the Three Lions came from behind to secure a brilliant 3-2 win against world champions Germany in Berlin.

Deputy strikers Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy both scored in that match and that has prompted several pundits to question whether Rooney will reclaim his starting place upon his return. Wayne was questioned about that debate while appearing on ITV and he was calm about the situation.

“As I have said throughout my career at Man United and with England, I never take my place for granted,” Rooney said. “Obviously you want to play and it is great that the competition is there, it hasn’t always been there but the quality we have got is there to see. It is exciting to be a part of and I can’t wait to get back fit, get back out there with the lads. Certainly it is something that I enjoy doing and it is something that I want to keep doing. I am going to keep going and get ready."

Asked directly about whether he feels under pressure for his place, Rooney disagreed but praised England’s strength-in-depth. “No I don’t think I need to fight for my place. It is exciting – in the previous tournaments, if everyone is fit then the team is more or less set.

“Now, nobody knows what is going to happen. The manager can play three or four teams with different combinations. I really believe we have got that quality. For the country it is going to be an exciting tournament [Euro 2016] and is something I am looking forward to and hopefully contributing goals.”

Amusingly, during his stint as a pundit, and while discussing the competition among England's strikers, Rooney later admitted one of his sons had asked for a Three Lions jersey with 'Vardy' on the back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home