Will Power

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Valencia - 15 Things We Learned

Antonio Valencia may be one of football's quiet men but MUTV's excellent documentary, 'The Amazon to Old Trafford', uncovered some fascinating background into the Manchester United star's personality and character.

By interviewing family, friends and footballing colleagues in Ecuador, the club channel were given an exclusive insight into the Reds star. The 30-year-old also spoke about his past and his incredible journey to the Barclays Premier League...

1. Valencia loves football
The right-back enjoys every minute of plying his trade at United. "I love this job," he says. "When I was a boy, I loved it. All I thought about was playing and enjoying it. In the morning, I had to get up and go to school but then, in the afternoon, I would just be thinking about football."

2. He liked his rest
The player's godmother, Miniera Portocarrero, comments: "He loved to sleep a lot!"

3. He is lion-hearted
He may be teased for rarely smiling on the pitch but former team-mate Juan Carlos Burbano claims it is all a facade. "That face you sometimes see on him being annoyed on the outside?" he says. "On the inside, he is a sweet, kind boy with a big heart but that lion that you can see in his face, he always puts him to work for the team on the pitch."

4. His old house is still standing - just
Elder brother Freddy shows the MUTV cameras the family home built when the Valencias bought a plot of land in Lago Agrio. "Every time he comes back and sees it but maybe, little by little, it will fall down on its own," admits Freddy.

5. He gives something back
Antonio visited his former school a few years ago to dish out some computers for the pupils. His primary school teacher Sanchez Miranda reveals: "We always remember him and use him as an example for the other students."

6. The secret trial
When he left for Ecuador's capital in a bid to impress his first club El Nacional, it was a big moment in his life. "I didn't tell my father because I knew he wouldn't let me go," he confesses. "It was the first time I ever left. I was nervous because I didn't know where I was going to sleep or where I was going to eat. But, if you have a dream and you want to make it come true, that is what you do."

7. He played above his age group
Although only being 14, he was pitted against 18-year-olds and still managed to shine. Pedro Perlaza, his first coach, says: "He imposed his leadership on the group despite the age difference."

8. Playing in boots was a luxury for him
"When I first got here [to El Nacional], I remember they gave me some white adidas boots. They were incredible!" Before then? "Nothing - just plimsolls and they broke and that would be it. You would keep playing anyway."

9. Antonio's brother was also in the El Nacional side
Although there may be some confusion with current Ecuador international Enner Valencia, who is no relation, Antonio's brother Freddy was already in the team when he was promoted from the Under-20 squad. "We went to the training complex together and I was very happy," says the United star.

10. What he spent his money on
Over to brother Freddy: "He would buy grooming products so he could look smart."

11. He has previous history with shirt numbers
Of course, Antonio wore the no.7 shirt at United before switching back to no.25 but, at El Nacional, he was handed a different number. Burbano retired and bestowed his number on the rookie. "I had the honour of giving Antonio my shirt," says the midfielder. "I knew inside that something was telling me that he would be a great player with the no.5." Antonio adds: "He had played something like 20 seasons as the no.5 for El Nacional and he said: 'I want you to wear the shirt'. It was very nice he gave it to me and I still have it."

12. As we suspected, Antonio has always been very quick
How fast is Valencia? That man Burbano has a nice turn of phrase when describing the wide man's pace. "When he changed rhythm, he would pass you like a jaguar running past a cactus. In other words, Antonio was very fast, very powerful and that is, I think, in world football, a diamond."

13. His bold prediction came true
"We used to watch European football with his dad," his friend Jose Espina recalls. "Barcelona scored a goal against Real Madrid in the Champions League. And Antonio said, as a joke to annoy us, 'One day, I am going to play there'. His dad laughed at him and his brother said: 'You have big dreams', as if it were really easy." Of course, he has played against both Spanish giants with the Reds.

14. Ryan Giggs is his mentor
The final revelation comes from Burbano. "I never imagined what he would do. To get to Manchester United and work with Sir Alex Ferguson and great players. He always talks about Giggs, his friend and mentor and like a teacher for him, Ryan Giggs."

15. What does the future hold for Antonio?
"I am proud of the job I have done," he says. "I hope to be here for a few more years and carry on playing in this wonderful league."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home