Will Power

Monday, April 25, 2016

Giggs Collects PFA Merit Award


Ryan Giggs has joined a list of Manchester United greats including Sir Matt Busby, Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson by winning the prestigious PFA Merit Award on Sunday night.

The Reds legend famously made 963 appearances for the club – more than anyone else - and lifted 20 major honours during his illustrious playing career at Old Trafford. Aged 40, he finally retired in May 2013 to begin a coaching career and is of course now assistant manager to Louis van Gaal.

The Merit Award is given for “meritorious service to football” and Giggs picked up his special honour at a glittering ceremony in London, completing a unique hat-trick of PFA prizes for the Welshman following his previous Young Player of the Year [1992] and Player of the Year [2009] wins.

“I’m chuffed to have won all three awards,” Giggs explained on Sunday evening. “The young player was a long time ago and the player award was a big surprise. This is the culmination of around 25 years since my debut, so it’s a credit to myself, my team-mates, staff, family and friends.

“When you win each award you look down the trophy and you see the players who have won it before and you realise what a great accolade it is. This is the same. I’ve been here on the nights when people have won it and it is legends of the game. I’m fortunate to win it and I’ll enjoy it.”

When asked for the key to his successful playing career with United, Giggs highlighted a single piece of advice from his former manager: “What Sir Alex always used to say was ‘enjoy it’. It was the last thing he said when you went out and played. Everything came with that obviously – improve every day, practice, listen, dedicate yourself – but most of all enjoy your football. That went for playing when I was 17 until when I was 40. It was a privilege to play at Old Trafford and I tried to enjoy it.”

Of course, Giggs attended the PFA Awards on the back of Saturday’s dramatic Emirates FA Cup semi-final victory over Everton and the assistant manager spoke about his determination to lift the trophy when United face Crystal Palace in the final on 21 May. “It’s obviously big,” he said of the upcoming game.

“The club have got great history in the FA Cup and it is 12 years since we’ve won it. It was great to get to the final. It’s a showcase. It’s one of my first memories of football, the FA Cup, so it’s special to me. I was fortunate to win it four times so to win it as a coach would be equally as special.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home