Will Power

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Van Gaal: The Wembley Verdict

Louis van Gaal spoke to MUTV, BBC and in his press conference after Manchester United's thrilling Emirates FA Cup semi-final win over Everton. Here are the key points from those interviews...

Reflections on the match
It’s fantastic when you see the joy in the eyes of the players. But also for the fans, because I think we deserved to reach the final. We were the better team in the first half and had so many chances - we could have finished it much earlier. It was an exciting game for the neutral fans and we are lucky that we scored in the last minute, but we deserved to win. I told [Chris] Smalling he was a lucky guy because now we can smile! He played a very good match. Both teams showed a lot of passion and will to win, so I’m very happy that we were the winners.

Pressure of a semi-final
I think the pressure was also for Everton. I think tomorrow when you see the other semi-final, the pressure is very high for every player because every player wants to play in the final, so it is always in my eyes the same. It is not different.

On matchwinner Anthony Martial
He could have scored in the first half when he was in the same situation, so I told him at half-time to shoot low into the corner – and he did that! It was a fantastic finish. I think he can do much better [in the future] because I see a lot of things that he can still improve and he shall improve. Only by training and by playing can you improve. Also, when you are playing at a higher level then you improve. When you are older you know all the things shall happen again. Then you have experience and you can decide much better in the same situation as before.

Can Martial become like Cole or van Nistelrooy?
I don't think that he is a striker; he is more of a wing player, but maybe in the future. But I don't think so - he is a different type of player to van Nistelrooy and the other examples of United strikers.

On goalscorer Marouane Fellaini
Fellaini is a player who wants to perform what we have agreed and I like that. He is also good with his head at set-plays – both for and against us – because we have a small team and he can help us.

On David De Gea
Yesterday we had an exercise with penalties. 20 penalties we have taken - Sergio Romero saved one and David De Gea zero. But today was the most important!

Will Wayne Rooney stay in midfield?
It is dependable on where my players continue. I have explained it also last week. At this moment I think that [Marcus] Rashford does a very good job in the striker's positon and now Wayne can contribute to the team more in midfield. I have seen today a great Wayne in midfield. It is not the first time he has played in midfield. Last year he also played in midfield, then your colleagues said he should play in the strikers' position. Maybe you remember that?

Prospect of an FA Cup final
I like it very much because as a player, manager and staff member, you do everything to win a title and we are very close now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home