Will Power

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Sergio Romero: My Hometown


Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero played a starring role in Argentina's run to the 2016 Copa America final and saved a penalty in the shootout which Romero and his team-mates unfortunately lost to Chile. Before he left for the tournament, he spoke to ManUtd.com about growing up in his homeland and uprooting to join Dutch outfit AZ Alkmaar in 2007...

You were born in Bernardo de Irigoyen – can you tell us a little bit about that town?
It’s a town in the north west of Argentina, right next to Brazil. It’s right on the edge, one of the four borders in the country. It’s a very small town. I was born there and lived there up until I was nine; it’s a wonderful place and somewhere that I miss even today. It’s the one thing I could have a go at my mother for – taking me away from that town to go and live in another city! I’d love to go back there one day to see what’s changed because I’d imagine that nowadays it’s a different place.

Being on the border, is there is a strong Brazilian influence in the region?
Oh yes. My brother and I, when we were young, used to watch cartoons which were often either in Spanish or Portuguese. So, for example, my brothers speak much better Portuguese than I do because they’ve lived there for much longer than I have.

How did you first get into football there as a youngster?
I started playing football when I was seven but that was only because I went along with my brother, who was in the next age group up from me. He played for a team in Irigoyen but I never got into a team in the town – I just went to watch him. My family then moved and we went to live in southern Argentina, and I ended up signing for C.A.I., a team known across Argentina, where I played for five years. After that I moved to Racing de Avellaneda in Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is sometimes labelled the ‘Paris of South America’ because of the European influences there. How would you describe it to someone visiting for the first time?
Buenos Aires is one of those cities that has everything; morning, noon and night there are things to keep you occupied. It’s the biggest city in Argentina and it’s a 24-hour city. You can pretty much do anything. There are great places to eat out, huge squares where you can spend an evening. It really is a beautiful city! I have a house in Buenos Aires, while my parents live in the south of Argentina.

What are your favourite parts of the city?
If you’ve been to Argentina as a tourist, you’ll probably know Puerto Madero, one of the best areas as it’s a relaxing place to be with tight security. But for someone who has lived in Buenos Aires for longer, like me, I have certain places where I go. I’m in Avellaneda – where Racing are from – and I have my friends there. My wife’s family live in Lanús. Then there are some areas of Capital Federal like Las Cañitas or Palermo which are really beautiful places to visit both in the daytime as well as the evening, whether to have lunch or dinner. They are stunning places.

Was it a big culture shock for you when you left Argentina for the Netherlands?
Yes, culturally it really was a very difficult move. In Holland they have a completely different culture to ours but it was a great opportunity and a challenge that I accepted immediately once it was put to me. I also think it was an important step for me, not just from a footballing perspective but on a personal level too. I matured a great deal during my time there.

Are you and your family used to being in Europe now?
Yes, totally! My eldest daughter was born in Amsterdam in 2010, the youngest in 2012 in Buenos Aires – my wife went back there to give birth but after a month she was back in Europe. Also, the life you have in Europe is not currently possible in Argentina; being able to finish a match safe in the knowledge that your family are all okay at home is priceless. It was easy to adapt and I was able to do so quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home