Will Power

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Rashford Has Derby-day Dream

Manchester United starlet Marcus Rashford might have an opportunity to score his "dream goal" when local neighbours and rivals Manchester City visit Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

The 18-year-old forward has scored 12 goals in his meteoric Reds career and that burgeoning tally includes a memorable winner in last season’s Premier League match at the Etihad Stadium.

However, while that finish is an unquestionable highlight of his short time in senior football, our Academy graduate longs to replicate that feeling on home soil against the blue-shirted foes.

Asked to name his dream goal in this month’s edition of Inside United magazine, Rashford says: "It would be a home goal against City, definitely! Scoring away was a massive moment as well for me, so I can only imagine what a home goal would be like."

Rashford's excellent finish against City last season was later nominated for the club's Goal Of The Season award and the scorer understandably has fond memories of the experience. "The game was quite an even one so it could have gone either way," Marcus explains in a wide-ranging interview.

“We were attacking and then they were attacking. They had a bit more of the ball but they weren’t really threatening us. There were two times before when I got on a one-v-one with him [Martin Demichelis] and he just nicked the ball off me. I knew what I needed to do the next time I got the ball so I did it.

“Then I was against the keeper [Joe Hart] and it was just about relaxing, composing myself and that was what I did. After it went in, the fans were too far away but it was a good feeling with everyone coming towards you. To win the game 1-0 as well, to hold out as a team was a good feeling.”

After scoring as a substitute at Northampton Town in the previous round of the EFL Cup, Rashford hopes to start against City as the Reds bid to reach the fifth round of the competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home