Will Power

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Valencia Eyes Double Success Over West Ham


Antonio Valencia is determined to help Manchester United secure back-to-back successes over West Ham United when they visit Old Trafford twice in four days.

Following Thursday’s impressive Europa League triumph over Feyenoord, the Reds host the Hammers in the Premier League on Sunday and in the EFL Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday.

Naturally, Valencia and the team’s attention is on the league encounter first as the Reds look to get back to winning ways in the top flight following three successive home draws.

But the 31-year-old knows that three victories in quick succession would provide a real boost at an ideal time of the season, heading into the busy Christmas period.

"Good results bring confidence and will help us get back to achieving our objective, which has to be competing for the Premier League," said Valencia, who was Man of the Match on his return from injury in last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Arsenal. 

"When you win, you feel you can win the next one and you sense you’re on the right path. We know West Ham are a good side but we need to approach these games like any other. 

"We’re playing well this season: we’re creating chances and putting teams under pressure, and I’m certain we’ll climb the table. So we’re focused on getting the points in the Premier League and then going through to the next round of the cup."

Valencia has been one of United’s standout performers this season and his dynamic displays at right-back were praised earlier this week by manager Jose Mourinho, who also revealed he tried to sign the Ecuadorian when he was in charge at Real Madrid.

"I’m thankful for the manager’s kind words and I hope to keep working hard to repay the faith he’s put in me in every game I play," Valencia added.

"He has given me a lot of confidence – he’s given me the chance to play. I like being at Manchester United and I want to do all I can for the team."

Valencia's return against the Gunners came earlier than many observers had expected; he missed only three games with the fractured arm he sustained in October's EFL Cup tie against Manchester City.
 
"I wanted to get back as soon as I possibly could, to help the team," he added. "I was helped by the medical department here at United and the great work they’ve done since my operation."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home