Will Power

Monday, January 30, 2017

Mourinho Q & A


Jose Mourinho's first six months at Manchester United have seen the club reach the FA Cup fifth round and go 17 games unbeaten.

The Portuguese coach has also taken United to the EFL Cup final and the knockout stages of the Europa League, where they will play St Etienne in the last 32 next month.

So how has Mourinho found life in Manchester? We sat down with the United boss to gauge his views on his new home, and a whole host of other subjects...

There's been a lot said about China in this transfer window. What do you make of players going from the Premier League?

"I am not a critic, and I am not supportive. Life belongs to yourself I am not a critic of anyone that decides to go to China and to change a real football career by an amazing, incredible economical situation. It's their choice and their life. I don't do like other people in the Premier League by judging other peoples' lives and choices, I don't do that.

"The only thing I can say is that in this moment of my career what I want is competition at the highest level. I still have a long way to go and improve and become better and better, so I want to be where real football is but I am not critical.

"I have to admit that probably will create some problems to the clubs that want to keep some of their players, but the players decide to go because it's understandable that some guys at 28, 29 years old, they look to players with less quality than them, they are in China getting five, 10 times more than what they get.

"I can not be a critic of someone that tries to chase the money in the last years of their careers, so especially for players I think it's understandable."

How are you enjoying life in the city since you joined Manchester United?

"I like it very much. My life in the city is my life in the football club because it is in the club that I spend most of my time. It's such a big club, so every minute I have is dedicated to my job. A part of that, people are really nice to me in the city and I feel very welcome and comfortable."

What is your favourite thing about Manchester away from the club?

"To be honest I haven't had the chance to know the city well or enjoy it in the proper way. The fact I am Manchester United manager doesn't help really because people are so nice and try to be so warm that is sometimes not so easy to have a social life.

"I keep the job and the nature of the job and what it needs from me and my relationship of Manchester United fans are a really important majority of people in the city and I like very much."

What is your proudest achievement in football?

"There are so many that it is difficult to say but let's go from my start. To win the Champions League with a Portuguese club (Porto) is history. To win the Premier League with Chelsea after 50 years is history.

"To win the treble with Inter Milan is history. To win with Real Madrid a title after so many years without titles is history. To be back to the Premier League and win again with Chelsea, is history. So my career is really rich, beautiful, but I have a big problem, I always want a next one."

Have you changed as a person or manager during your career?

"I think so, I hope so more than I think so.

"My first year as a manager was in 2000, many many years after, so many amazing experiences in football, in life, living in different countries, coaching in different countries, meet players from all four corners of the world, obviously I hope I had an evolution as a manager and as a person.

Jose Mourinho, a Jaguar ambassador, was speaking in Manchester as he stars in a new film celebrating his partnership with the brand.

Credit: Skysports.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home