Will Power

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Valencia's Fond Wigan Memories


It’s over a decade since Antonio Valencia first arrived in English football and the in-form Manchester United man will always look back with fondness on that time with Wigan Athletic.

Valencia was signed on an initial one-year loan deal by the Latics’ then-manager Paul Jewell from Villarreal in August 2006, having impressed for Ecuador in that summer’s World Cup in Germany.

Ahead of the Championship side’s visit to Old Trafford in the FA Cup on Sunday, Valencia reflected on his three-year spell at the DW Stadium, where he established himself as a powerhouse winger. And he has nothing but praise for a club who helped him adapt to an unfamiliar country and gave him such a solid grounding in the Premier League.

Recalling his early days in England, the 31-year-old told ManUtd.com: "When I arrived and took part in my first training sessions, I remember how cold it was and also how tough the sessions were. 

"I found them hard because I wasn’t yet fully at my best fitness-wise. But I said to myself that if I want to stay and do well here, I need to get my fitness up to my team-mates' levels. And that’s what happened. 

"I started to work hard and I would be first to arrive at training and then last to leave. There were times when I got a bit down and wondered to myself 'what am I doing here?', and I just wanted to go back home. But that’s when you discover that inner strength, when you are determined to realise your dream. 

"I had to work really hard and, thanks to God, I had such great team-mates alongside me on that journey, guys like [Emile] Heskey and Boycey [Emmerson Boyce]. Everyone in the dressing room helped me tremendously as I managed to settle in well and become part of the team."

Wigan were beginning their second season in the top flight when Valencia arrived and he helped them escape relegation on goal difference, before signing a permanent deal the following campaign as the Latics, with ex-Red Steve Bruce now at the helm, finished 14th.

But he admits his third and final term there, 2008/09, was the one he enjoyed most, with Bruce guiding the team to 11th in the final Premier League standings.

"We played so well during that campaign and we were safe with something like two months to go before the end of the season," the right-back said.

"So it was nice to play some entertaining football during those last couple of months as we were calm, knowing that we were staying up. We had a great squad of players at the time and I will always fondly remember that period. 

"Also the supporters were great, the stadium was always full with our fans getting behind us and driving us on. It was a small town with a massively big heart."

By then, Valencia had become an integral part of the Wigan team, having racked up nearly 100 appearances, and his form attracted the attention of several bigger clubs. But it was Sir Alex Ferguson who swooped to bring him to Old Trafford in June 2009.

Valencia said: "I remember Steve Bruce told me that United were interested in me but I really didn’t believe him as he was always having a laugh and a joke with me. 'No, seriously, they are very interested in you,' he insisted. 

"A couple of days before the deal was officially announced, I met with Sir Alex and, when I looked into the eyes of the manager right in front of me, I could tell that he was serious about signing me, and he gave me his word and told me everything would be sorted out. 

"That was an incredible moment and that evening I didn’t know whether to cry or shout or what to do. I rang my family in Ecuador and we chatted and they didn’t believe me either! But thankfully it all went ahead and I joined United."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home