Will Power

Friday, March 3, 2017

Talking Points: Carrick's Press Conference


Michael Carrick held a press conference on Thursday to announce the Old Trafford testimonial that has been awarded to him following 11 years of trophy-laden service to Manchester United.

The fundraising match on Sunday 4 June 2017 will pit a United 2008 XI against an all-star side that will be personally selected by the midfielder himself. Importantly, all monies raised from the event will be distributed to his chosen charities through the newly-created Michael Carrick Foundation.

Here are five talking points from a momentous day for our no.16…

1: DOUBLE-WINNERS TO REUNITE
Carrick is reforming the Manchester United squad that won the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League back in 2007/08, with Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs all confirmed participants. Michael accepts it will be hard to get everybody at Old Trafford on 4 June, particularly as the date comes just a week after this campaign finishes, but he is optimistic of getting the gang back together (including the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez and more).

"I’m asking everyone to play," he explained. "Whether everyone can make it, I don't know because everyone’s got their own things and schedules. And some lads are still playing – so I can’t guarantee it’ll be 100 per cent the full team, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be most of the team."

2: WHO WILL MANAGE UNITED?
Sir Alex Ferguson famously led the Reds to glory in 2008, but it remains to be seen whether our iconic former manager will return to the Old Trafford dugout for Carrick’s big day. Michael kept his cards extremely close to his chest when quizzed on the subject in his press conference, saying: "I’m holding back the manager's identity for now. I know who it is but I’m not telling you."

3: ALL-STARS WILL BE CARRICK’S BEST OPPONENTS
Michael has faced some of the finest players in English, European and world football in his decorated professional career, so his task of picking a squad of his best opponents is quite a troublesome task. The 35-year-old has already recruited Premier League legends Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Michael Owen, but he was coy on who else would feature when asked on Thursday. He said: “They will be announced in the time leading up to the game over the next few months. There’s a challenge on me because it’s up to me to put the teams together – so there’s a bit of responsibility on me for that."

4: INSPIRED BY SIR IAN BOTHAM
Thursday’s media event also launched the Michael Carrick Foundation and the vice-captain was clearly passionate about the project. He spoke at length about his long-term ambition to give back to children in Manchester and his hometown of Newcastle, saying “I’ve always had it in the back of my mind that I want to set up the foundation – it’s something I’ve been passionate about for quite some time."

Sir Ian Botham was also referenced as an inspiration, given the success of the cricket icon’s charity walks that have reportedly raised over £12million since 1985. “I can remember when I was a bit younger seeing his sponsored walks and that’s something that really stuck with me," Michael said. “He’s carried that on for a number of years and I’m not saying I’m going to walk as far as him but it’s something I’m very passionate about and something l look forward to doing over the years to come."

5: NO COMMENT ON NEXT SEASON
Any press conference with Carrick would not be complete without the evergreen midfielder being asked about his future, given he is on a one-year rolling contract. Michael always reviews his situation in the summer and he did not make any further comment on Thursday. “Right now there’s nothing to report," he told reporters. "Now is probably not the time to make any announcement anyway."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home