Will Power

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Valencia Well Versed In Manchester Derbies


Antonio Valencia is excited by Manchester United's short trip to the Etihad Stadium on Thursday night and hoping the Reds can produce "a big performance" against the club's local rivals.

The Ecuador international has gained plenty of experience in derby fixtures since joining the Reds in 2009, having faced Manchester City on 17 previous occasions in all competitions. Ahead of the latest match between the sides, Valencia says he knows how important the meetings are to the fans.

"I've lived in the Manchester area for a good few years now, so I know exactly what these games mean to the fans," Valencia told MUTV.

"The people of Manchester put huge importance on this game. I know they really live the experience, so I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere. 

"We're excited. We just hope that, on the night, we can perform really well and put in a big performance. I think we're going into it in good shape, we’ve been working hard and we all feel well prepared."

Valencia has been widely praised for his performances this season, and while he is delighted by the progress he has made under Jose Mourinho's management, he insists there is still work to be done before the end of the campaign.

"I’m very happy with the season and the work I’ve put in throughout the season so far," he added.

"But what we need to remember is that it’s not over yet, there are still games to come and there's a trophy [the Europa League] at stake at the end of the season. We need to make sure we get our hands on that.

"I love this team and I love this club with a passion, I love being here and I’m very grateful for the support of the fans this season. Also, the manager and my team-mates have shown great faith in me, and that makes me very happy.

"I’m in a good place at the moment, but I need to make sure I keep pushing and performing at the same level until the end of the season."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home