Will Power

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Mourinho Discusses Ibrahimovic Comeback

Jose Mourinho is refusing to set a timeframe for Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s return to action with Manchester United but hopes the striker will boost the squad after Christmas.

Ibrahimovic signed a one-year contract with the Reds on Thursday and is on the road to recovery after sustaining a knee injury that ended his 2016/17 season prematurely.

The topic dominated the start of Mourinho’s pre-match press conference on Friday, during which the manager confirmed the Swedish front-man would be included in his Champions League squad.

"He will not be ready for the group phase of the Champions League," the boss said. "I don't think there will be any chance of that. 

"Do we have space in the Champions League list to have him? Yes, we have, so we don't need to leave any player outside the Champions League list. But I'm not thinking with Zlatan to play any part in the group phase.
Hopefully, he can play in the knockout phase but, for that, we need to finish [in the] top two."

Asked when Zlatan could realistically return, Mourinho replied: "I don't want to think about it. I don't even ask, I don't speak with him about it, I don't speak with the medical team about it. I just think he will be an extra man for us in the second part of the season.
 
"When I say second part of the season, normally we say January, after Christmas, when the transfer window re-opens in January. But I have no idea at all and I think the right way is not even to think about it and just let him do his work, step by step and come back when he's really ready."

Mourinho is delighted to have secured Ibrahimovic’s services and praised the 35-year-old for his desire and determination to recover and play a part in United’s season.

"I'm really happy he's with us because it shows me the dimension of the player and the dimension of the club," the manager continued. "The dimension of the player because it would be very easy for him to say goodbye, to say it's enough, one European competition, success at Manchester United, big injury, goodbye. He doesn't do that. 

"He wants to follow his other dreams and he wants to play football at the highest level, so it shows the dimension of character and personality of the player.

"And it shows the dimension of the club – a club like Manchester United, in my opinion, has to show how big it is in details and this is a big, big detail. A player that gets injured in a Manchester United shirt, fighting for Manchester United, the club has to be there for him and I'm really happy with both club and player."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home