Will Power

Friday, August 25, 2017

Ten Things We Have Learned From #Zlat10

There have been few footballers as driven, talented and entertaining as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Manchester United fans everywhere were delighted to hear the news of the striker's new one-year contract with the club, which was announced on Thursday.

ManUtd.com's Gemma Thompson travelled to Monaco to interview the Swede for MUTV, to find out how his recovery from a knee injury is coming along and to learn more about Zlatan's ambitions to build on a memorable first season with the Reds, which yielded three trophies and a top-scoring figure of 28 goals.

After spending a day with the 35-year-old, these are the 10 things she learned about life with Zlatan...

1. OUR NEW NO.10
If we're counting down our top 10 learnings on Zlatan then the first place to start is his new shirt number, which is, rather aptly, the no.10 jersey. "So the thing is I never left, I just upgraded my number!" he joked. "There are big things coming and I am taking over the number from another great number 10 – Wazza. I have only positive and great things to say about him. He is a great person off the pitch and on the field, everyone knows what he did and what he is doing. I am just happy to take over the number 10 jersey."

2. WEARING THE RED SHIRT AGAIN
Ibrahimovic's journey with the club is continuing and the man himself can't wait: "This was part of my plan, to stay with United. I’ve had a little break for a small injury and as soon as I’m ready I’ll be back wearing the red shirt and will continue what I was doing from last season. I’m motivated, I’m pumped and I look forward to the moment when I walk out at Old Trafford and see the people standing up, and when I score my goal that will be the moment I will enjoy most."

3. MOURINHO IS A WINNER
Zlatan is relishing the chance to carry on his work with former boss Jose Mourinho. The pair worked together at Inter Milan and their relationship has been strong ever since. "What he has brought to the club and the team is the winning mentality," explained Zlatan. "He knows what he is doing. He has been doing this before and wherever he went he won. He’s a winner and I’m happy to be in that environment, that is what I stand for and what I like to be around."

4. BECOMING BETTER
He's won 33 major trophies and scored hundreds of goals, but Ibra insists the best is still to come. "I feel good. I have trained every day since I had my knee operated on, there is no vacation," he revealed. "It’s a new challenge for me obviously but I am strong mentally and when I focus on an objective nothing can stop me. It doesn’t matter what’s in my way I will break everything to reach my goal. When I come back to play football on the field I will be better than before. I am not coming back because I am the one I am, I am coming back to be a better version of the old one. Imagine how that will be!"

5. INSPIRED BY HISTORY
I asked the 35-year-old how it felt to see legends like Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson around the club, and the influence they have on the current squad of Reds. "They are a big inspiration and motivation for everyone for what they stand for and what they did for the club," insisted Zlatan. "What they’ve done remains in the history [of the club] and that’s why we are all here, to make history that will remain."

6. MANCHESTER'S PASSION FOR FOOTBALL
After only a few months living in our great city, Ibra found out exactly what football and United means to the people of Manchester. "It’s amazing, the passion for it… wherever you go you see a fan, and the thing is with United we have fans everywhere. So when I walk into the city I always see a red shirt. Hearing them talk about their club, talking about yourself, the players... you see that they have a big passion for football and that gives you extra motivation and extra happiness. When I see City fans, or when they see me, they turn into United fans, so that is a great thing that has happened to the city!"

7. THE PERFECT MATCH
Last season's top scorer took to life at United like a duck to water and he believes it was the perfect match from the off: "Absolutely. I think the shirt fits me very well and I’ve made the shirt shine very well. I think this shirt was made for me. It could have been worn a long time before but there is always a moment when it’s supposed to happen."

8. GREAT THINGS LIE AHEAD
After playing his part in three trophy triumphs last season, Zlatan is confident more success is to come. "We have to remember the second year of Mourinho is always the best one," he declared. "This year will be very exciting and with these new players the team is stronger and I expect us to do great things. I think the pressure is even higher from last season and with the new players the team is better. We lost Rooney which is a big loss, but with the three new players, I think the team is stronger than last season."

9. TROPHY TARGET
The Reds claimed three out of five trophies last term and Zlatan maintains that every trophy is important. "We cannot focus on one and leave the rest unfocused, we focus on everything to keep the mentality stable. The aim is the same as last season, we go for every trophy we play for. That is what I came to United for, to lift these trophies and have those happy moments. This is something I used to see when I saw Manchester United. The hard work we are putting down means the results will come in the end."

10. MESSAGE FOR THE FANS
Ibra's interview ended with a simple message to the supporters: "I’m coming to finish what I started."

We all look forward to that Zlatan!

Credit: Manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home