Will Power

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Ferguson Backs Eric Harrison Award


Former Manchester United youth-team manager Eric Harrison has been awarded an MBE for his services to football in the New Year's Honours list, with Sir Alex Ferguson leading the tributes.

The 79-year-old helped develop the famous FA Youth Cup winning side of 1992 with the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt all benefiting from Eric's expertise.

And now Eric has quite rightly been recognised for his services to football in the Queen's New Year's Honours list.

"When I got the news yesterday I was so delighted for him," Sir Alex told MUTV. "Not just for Manchester United, but he had a great spell at Everton and he was a good, steady professional footballer.

"If you wanted a teacher who gives you the right way, the right path forward, Eric was that man. He was fantastic in his time here. When I came to United at first, I decided I should go on with Eric because you know what happens when new managers come into the club, they bring their own staff.

"I just brought one with me and I was prepared to give the other staff their opportunity. I was really lucky in a sense because I got to know the work Eric was doing and it was a really great decision. It was fantastic, the Class of '92, and it was his highlight in terms of his coaching career. But all the young players who came through that year will look at the contribution he made and the character he built in these people. He made them good human beings.

"I got a text from one of his players at Everton, who said I will never forget Eric Harrison and that was a great thing to say from 30, 40 years ago. So he has made a great contribution and he deserves this honour. I know he is not doing well at the moment [with his health], but hopefully he picks up after receiving this award. He created a path for these boys through hard work, dedication and sacrifice and he was able to empower that education to them and knowledge of the best way to be a top footballer.

"Not all of them made it some - were unfortunate with injuries, like Ben Thornley and Chris Casper who would have gone on to have great careers, but the five who epitomised the work he did, was a testimony to the work he did."

The club's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward added: “Everyone at Manchester United is delighted for Eric and his family. His contribution to the club and to the game as a whole was enormous during his long career and this award is fitting recognition of that.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home