Will Power

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Matic: Why I Changed My Position


Manchester United star Nemanja Matic has outlined the process behind his switch from attacking to defensive midfield.

In a revealing interview in the new edition of Inside United, the official club magazine, he recalled the explanation given to him by Benfica coach Jorge Jesus for a move to the no.6 role.

Matic has made the position his own and enjoyed a fine start to life at Old Trafford, not looking back after receiving the advice from his former boss.

"When I started to play football, my dream was to play as an attacking midfielder and to score goals," he admitted. "When I grew up slowly [motions to being tall with his hand], I started to move back and, when I came to Benfica, the coach Jorge Jesus told me I won’t have the chance to play attacking midfield.

"We had many players better than me in that position, such as Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola. So it was difficult for me and he said, if I want to play, then the no.6 position in defensive midfield was for me and I can become one of the best in the world. I started to work hard and to listen to him and, step by step, I improved. As you can see today, I am at Manchester United and I am happy that I changed my position."

When asked if his size was a factor behind the tactical switch, the Serbian replied: "Yes, I think so. With my height, it is difficult to play forward in that role but I don’t know.

"Maybe the coach said that my height was a problem when maybe it was my quality! [Laughs] Aimar and Saviola were very small but extremely good technically and had very good quality."

Matic is the cover star of the latest Inside United with an exclusive seven-page interview inside. Also look out for 'The Graduates' featuring personal accounts from Scott McTominay, Axel Tuanzebe and Joel Pereira, Juan Mata's photography exhibition and some illustrations by Eric Cantona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home