Will Power

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Rojo's dream continues

Marcos Rojo spoke exclusively to MUTV after signing a new deal with Manchester United and reflected on a memorable four years at the club and outlined his hopes for the future...

Congratulations Marcos, how happy are you to sign the new contract?
For sure I’m really happy to renew my contract. I’ve worked really hard this year to recover [from injury] and get fit so I can do my best for this club. So signing this new contract is a really happy moment for me and my whole family.

What is it about the club which makes you want to be here for a long time?
The size and stature of the club and just how massive it is. To play every weekend and just to wear the shirt is incredible. It’s hard to put it into words, it’s something unique for me. It was always a dream of mine since I was a kid, and I’ve been here for four years which has made me very happy.

How do you look back on your time here so far?
These four years have been among the best of my entire career. They’ve really shot by as well, it seems just like yesterday that I signed for United. A lot has happened in that time, we’ve won trophies and played finals and in big games. This stays with you all your life and career. For a player to play so many games like that with such a big club, it’s just the best feeling.

You’ve enjoyed some memorable moments in your United career, but if you had to pick a highlight, what would you choose?
I’d have to pick the FA Cup final [in 2016]. Playing in that game and lifting the trophy was special. It was a great experience. Then you have the frustration of missing out on the final of the Europa League [last season through injury]. It was a painful experience but one that you can learn from for the rest of your career. The injury came at a bad time because I’d been in good form that season.

You must also hope there are many more highlights to come...
I’m sure there will be. That’s the reason I’ve signed the new contract and that’s why I’m so keen to continue playing for this great club. I have huge confidence and belief in the people at this club and of course the fans who constantly offer their support. We are very grateful to them for that. I’m absolutely convinced that we will be blessed with many more trophies and great moments during the rest of my time here.

How keen are you to get back on the pitch as we head towards the end of the season?
We have a lot of big games coming up now. I cannot wait to get back to 100 per cent fitness so I can help the team out on the pitch. I’m absolutely dying to pull on the United shirt and play once again. I’m working really hard in my preparation to be able to do that really soon.

Then of course it’s the World Cup. What are your thoughts on Russia 2018?
Without a doubt coming back as soon as possible into the United side [is my aim] and doing well is very important [as well] so I can go into the World Cup having ended the season well. As soon as the season is over, my personal goal is to make the World Cup. It’s an incredible thing playing for your country. In the last World Cup we lost the final, rather unluckily. This time around I hope things work out even better for the team so all the Argentinian people can be celebrating victory along with the squad. Back home that’s very important to everyone.

Argentina have a great squad so it will take a very good team to beat you…
There are other strong squads and teams from other countries too. But we have a team full of players who are stars in their own sides both here in Europe and at home in Argentina. We really believe in the players we have and in our style of play, so confidence is high. However, we know that it won’t be easy. There are some great national teams with top players, it’s a World Cup after all where you only get the very best players taking part. It will be tough but we believe in ourselves, we’ve got the best player in the world [Lionel Messi] and we all have a massive heart when we pull on the Argentina shirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home