Will Power

Saturday, May 19, 2018

What Jose told MUTV and the press


Jose Mourinho addressed the media on Friday afternoon as Manchester United prepare to face Chelsea in the Emirates FA Cup final.

The boss, who also gave an update on the fitness of Romelu Lukaku and Anthony Martial, was quizzed by MUTV at the team's Watford base and also by reporters at his press conference.

Here are the main points from Mourinho ahead of Saturday's game...

A FEW DAYS AWAY FROM MANCHESTER
"We are together, 24 hours per day, and, as we are not going to be for around two months, we are going to miss each other so it’s a good way to say goodbye to the season – to be together playing a game. Now, some, but not many, enjoy a well-deserved holiday and others have the motivation, the honour and the pleasure to go to a World Cup and represent their countries."

EXPERIENCE IN FINALS
"Yes, but if you look to the opponent [Chelsea], the opponent is no different than us. Sometimes there’s a little bit of difference in that know-how which can make a difference, like you would, for example, feel us against Ajax and Atletico [Madrid] against Marseille [in the Europa League finals]. But Chelsea players against Manchester United players, I think they all know what the final is and what Wembley is. I think there will not be a problem.”

TELLING PLAYERS THEY'RE LEFT OUT
"It’s not the nicest part of the job, for sure, but the only way to try to compensate is to be honest with everybody and to say the process of being in the final and playing in the final belongs to everyone. Everyone had a participation in the season and the final belongs to everyone – not just the ones that are on the pitch."

RAY WILKINS'S FAMILY
"I think it will be a very emotional moment for Mrs Wilkins, for all the family, for the sons. It will be very emotional and I believe that Ray will be looking at it and will be enjoying it himself. I know how much he was loved at Chelsea. I know how much he is loved at Manchester United and I think it is a coincidence obviously that the clubs are playing the final, but I think it will be a moment that will unite the stadium, that will unite the clubs of both colours. And I think it will be a beautiful moment, right?"

BETTER RECORD IN CUP FINALS THAN ANTONIO CONTE
"I think the winning mentality doesn't have anything to do with records or with history in finals. Honestly, I think that what he did in the past has nothing to do with tomorrow and the records don't play. What plays tomorrow is, 11 v 11 and everybody trying to give his best."

IMPORTANCE OF THE FA CUP
"In Italy, it’s not a big deal. In Portugal, it’s a beautiful day but also in Spain maybe because in the final I played against Barcelona – it was Real-Barcelona. If it was not Real-Barcelona, it was Real against another team and it wasn’t so significant. But the English FA Cup is the one that it doesn’t matter, the team or the dimension, the FA Cup is historically the best cup of all domestic cups."

MANAGING AGAINST CHELSEA
"I have people in the club that I am really, really big friends with. Gary Staker and Dr. [Paco] Biosca are the two big ones. They are my big, big friends but I have a lot of friends, even some of the players that I worked with. Some of the staff and some of the board too. They are people I worked with and people who I like, so before and after is not the same, but during the match, I want to beat Chelsea."

2007 FA CUP FINAL
"The main memory is exactly that – we were going for the history, the first final at the new Wembley. Lots of players, clubs and managers win the FA Cup – every year there is a new FA Cup winner. But there is only one manager that won the first FA Cup at the new Wembley and that was what I thought and felt at that moment."

KICK-OFF TIME
"It’s okay – it’s better than 19:45 or 20:45 or even 22:00 like I have had before in Spain [with Real Madrid]. We are prepared, we train hard, we finish today [Friday] and tomorrow [Saturday] is just preparing for the game. Of course, there will be a little bit of anxiety as people want the game to arrive, but I suppose, at 15:00, we are moving from the hotel to the direction of the dressing room and that is when everything starts."

THE SEASON OVERALL
"It depends on the attitude you want to look at it [with]. If you want to look at it the positive way, you focus on all the improvements. If you want to look in a negative way, people can look in a negative way. But me analysing myself and my players, it’s not the result of one match that is going to change what I think and I think the boys and everyone at the club work hard and I’m pleased with them and this match is not going to change my way of looking at it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home