Will Power

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Locked Out.....

Have you ever been locked out of your house or some other places? Is it a very terrible feeling? The feeling of helplessness, panic and frustration all surrounding you at the same time?

Well, I have experienced this feeling yesterday and it was really very traumatic. I am being locked out of my office, with all my valuables inside.


The incident happened when I decided to visit the washroom. My office did not normally close until 7 in the evening and I have left my bag at my desk, thinking that my colleagues will still be around. It was 6 PM at that time... .

What a short trip to the washroom turned out to be a nightmare, as the door to my office was locked and with my bag still inside. When I came out from the washroom and on my way back to my office, I realised that I could not enter at all! I thought to myself :" Maybe my colleagues are just playing a trick on me." I knocked on the door a few times, anticipating them to open. After a good 10 minutes of knocking, there was no response. It was at that moment when fear strikes me. Oh No! They have all gone home! What am I going to do?

I did what everyone will do when they are locked outside -- try to prise open the door. I summoned all my strength and try to force open the door. No luck. I don't think using brute force on this door will do..... .

I then headed down to the security counter to ask for assistance. After explaining the whole situation to the security officer on duty, sorry is the only word that came out from his mouth. The security office do not have spare keys to the offices located inside the building. What kind of service is this security guard offering? What if someone has locked himself / herself in the office to do some silly things like attempting suicide? Are they going to wait for something bad to happen in order to take action?

As it was quite late and nothing has been done to solve my problem, I am getting quite frustrated by the minute. After verbally lashing out at the security officer, I then went up to look for alternative help by going to a office located at the sixth floor. This office normally closes at around 8 PM as the staff always have to work overtime. I asked for help and got a list of numbers for me to call... .

I started calling the numbers on the list and received no response at all. Their phones were either switched off or they did not picked up the call. I feel that I am slowly losing my head and hope...... .

Before I plan my next course of action, I told myself: "Wilson, its either you continue to lose your cool and do something silly, or you can remain calm and to solve this issue at hand." Taking a breather and in deep thought, I finally decided that the next action which I am going to do will be the last resort. Its either I get my bag out of the office or without it.... .

Using the computer, I type in the name TOH Choon Hin and ran a database search for the contact number of this person. Mr Toh is my office colleague and I am rather sure that he has the keys to the office. The computer system displays the contact numbers of Mr Toh. Thank god! I picked up the phone and called him for help. After much explanation, Mr Toh agreed to come back to the office just to open the office door for me. He also told me that I will have to wait for an hour as he is somewhere else.... .

While waiting for my saviour to appear, I still have the mood to go to the shopping mall to do some shopping. I went to the music store, purchased Jay Chou's latest album and rushed back to office straightaway.

Finally, Mr Toh turned up and opened the door for me. I apologised profusely to him for the inconvenience caused and went back home with my bag. I am so glad that this rather unfortunate thing has ended... .

What have I learnt from this episode? I can state we shall not assume that things will go according to plan. Prepare for the unexpected is what I will always have in mind...... .


As of today, I will not leave my bag in the office after 6 PM....... .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home