Will Power

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Giggs Craves For More

Ryan Giggs is eager for more glory after making his club-record 759th appearance in the wee small hours of a massive morning in Moscow.

The United winger helped the Reds to win a third European Cup by scoring the final penalty before Edwin van der Sar denied Chelsea's Nicolas Anelka. After lifting the trophy with Rio Ferdinand, he took the time to reflect on an historic night for himself and for the club.

"I've not really talked about the record because it's about winning championships and European Cups but I couldn't have done it on a better night," said Ryan.

"It's a proud achievement for myself and my family for me to have played that many games for this club. It's brilliant but it is about winning trophies and I've been fortunate to win a lot. I hope there's more to come."

Giggs had a golden opportunity to spare us all the agony of penalties but his close-range shot was brilliantly headed away by John Terry - ironically the man who would go on to miss what would have been Chelsea's match-winning spot-kick.

"I just got a toe to it, I could have got a better connection and John Terry did brilliantly to get back," recalled Ryan.

"There were some good chances in the game but neither team could put them away. No one likes it to go to penalties because it's a lottery then. Fortunately we were the winners.

"I'm not really a penalty taker but I practiced a lot in the week, aiming for that corner. I practiced with 10 penalties in that corner, missing one. So I was quite confident."

Giggs was in the United side that won the European Cup on 26 May 1999 - that would have been Sir Matt Busby's 90th birthday. This time, he's helped the Reds to win the famous trophy 50 years after eight of Busby's players and three club officials died in the plane crash at Munich. Fate?

"I think it is fate. We couldn't have planned it any better," said Ryan.

"Everyone was disappointed with the Manchester City result (close to the crash anniversary) in February. Hopefully this makes up for it. We were nervous that day (against City) but tonight we wanted to make up for that and to win the Champions League for this great club. We've won it three times now and we want to win it more because that's what great clubs do."

Winning trophies is what great players do and Ryan wants to continue adding to his personal haul of 19 major honours, which also happens to be a record - in English football.

"A few people have mentioned me hanging up my boots but I'm still enjoying it. I want nights like this again. I'll go away and enjoy the summer and look forward to next season."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home