Will Power

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Berbatov: This Feels Like Home

United’s in-form striker Dimitar Berbatov feels completely at home at Old Trafford, and says his current team-mates are the best he’s ever played with.

Berbatov has every reason to be in upbeat mood. He's struck goals against Middlesbrough, Chelsea, Bolton Wanderers, Tottenham Hotspur and West Bromwich Albion (three of them match-winners) in the last month to take his tally to 11 for the season, and he’s also the Premier League’s most creative player, with nine assists.

The reason for it is that Berbatov instantly settled in Manchester, while his unique style of play has been allowed to flourish freely under Sir Alex Ferguson, as Dimitar explained to ManUtd.com.

“I feel completely settled here,” he says. “To be honest, I felt that way from the minute I walked into the dressing room. The boys have been great. It’s like I’ve been here for years. I was made to feel part of the team straight away, and I think things clicked quite early on.

“That was a big relief for me. Sometimes if it doesn’t feel like home, you can’t adapt on or off the pitch. But it was so easy for me to settle here.”

But Berbatov, who describes himself as a perfectionist, isn’t completely satisfied just yet. “I want to train hard and continue to show what I can do in games,” he continues. “Everyone here has talent, but you need to develop the talent God gives you, work hard and, with a bit of luck, you’ll succeed.”

However, life is made a little easier when you have the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez, and whole lot more throughout the side.

“Personally, this is the best squad I’ve been involved with. I am very proud that the manager has said this as well. My country is proud, too. For me to be here, coming from a small country, it’s a big success. You can’t get higher than the standard at United. We have some of the best players and clearly the best coach. It’s a pleasure just to be here and follow in the footsteps of so many great players.”

At 27, Berbatov may be one of the more experienced members of a youthful attack at Old Trafford, but he says there is plenty for him to learn in his peak years.

“I always try to improve and work on my weaknesses,” he adds. “I listen to the boss and the experienced guys in the team who have won many league titles. You only have respect guys like that, they have achieved everything. That’s one of the great things about being here. You work, you develop, improve and, hopefully, win cups and titles. I have my own style and I always play my game. With that, if I can help the team, great.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home