Will Power

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cristiano Salutes Sir Alex

Cristiano Ronaldo took time out to salute the influence of Sir Alex Ferguson as he collected the FIFA World Player of the Year award on Monday evening.

The Portuguese completed a clean sweep of 2008's major personal accolades in Zurich, but was quick to stress that the award was also recognition for the work of others.

"This is an overwhelming moment," he said, upon collecting his award. "It's a dream come true. It's one of the most important moments of my life, and I hope to be back in this position again. After what I did in 2008, to receive this award is amazing and I feel very proud of this achievement.

"It has to be said that the manager has played an important role in this. It was a great season for my club as well as me. Sir Alex Ferguson has taught me so much, his experience over so many years is of paramount importance, and it's a privilege to have such a great manager.

"This is the climax of a fantastic era. I'm proud and happy at what my team has achieved and all the trophies that we've won. I am lucky to to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United."

Ronaldo is also the current holder of the Ballon d'Or and the reigning FIFPro World Player of the Year, PFA and FWA Player of the Year, and has collected a spate of other honours for his stunning exertions over the last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home