Will Power

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Evans Value Education

United defender Jonny Evans may only be 21 but he's already being rated as one of the best British centre-backs around.

Reds team-mate Rio Ferdinand has tipped the Belfast boy to go on and captain Northern Ireland; Evans could earn his 16th international cap on Saturday when Nigel Worthington’s men welcome Poland to Windsor Park.

The youngster’s rise to prominence and ice-cool composure on the pitch has been well documented this season. His performances have even drawn the odd comparison to the senior members of the Reds’ rearguard, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

“I don’t like to compare myself to those guys,” Evans told ManUtd.com.

“I look at certain aspects of their game – Vidic is unbelievable in the air and competes for every ball, which is something I’d like to add to my game. Meanwhile, Rio is so composed: he makes things look easy, rarely does he look fazed in a game.

"People will always make comparisons, but I just try to concentrate on the things I’m good at."

Of Evans' 21 starts this season, nine have been as Rio's sidekick, nine alongside Vida and three with Gary Neville in the heart of the back four.

As you might expect, the approach Evans takes onto the pitch is dictated by his central defensive partner.

“When Vidic is beside me I usually let him attack the ball. I sometimes let Rio do that too but he's so quick and is a great reader of the game, so I tend to attack the ball a bit more when I’m with him. I definitely try and adjust my game depending on who's next to me.

“There are no two better defenders in the world than the two we have here. We have a good balance here with Rio, who is like the Rolls-Royce, and Vidic, who attacks the ball so well.

“But I try to learn things from everyone. Wes Brown is a great competitor, for example, and can play anywhere across the back four.”

Evans is likely to start United's next match, against Aston Villa at Old Trafford on Sunday 5 April, as Nemanja Vidic will be serving the second of a two-game suspension following his red card against Liverpool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home