Will Power

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Foster 'Disheartened' At Man. United

England goalkeeper Ben Foster is "disheartened" by his Manchester United status - but has no plans to leave.

At the start of the season he stood in for Edwin van der Sar, but a series of errors means he is third-choice behind the Dutchman and Tomasz Kuszczak.

"I'm third choice for United yet I'm playing for my country," said Foster after England's 1-0 defeat by Brazil.

"It's very disheartening not even to be on the bench, but I can't go saying 'I want to leave' or anything like that."

With Van der Sar absent through injury in the early months of the season, Foster was handed the gloves by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, only to make embarrassing mistakes in the derby win over Manchester City and the 2-2 draw with Sunderland.

"I thought I started off well but then there was a period of two or three games where I made a few mistakes," added Foster.

"But they were the only ones I made really and I was disappointed to find myself out of the team."

But while his club form dimmed, Foster's international prospects brightened due to Robert Green's suspension following his dismissal against Ukraine, allowing the United keeper to play against Belarus and Brazil.

"It is everything for a footballer to go to the World Cup but I can't go saying 'I want to leave' or anything like that," said Foster, reflecting on his chances of going to the World Cup in South Africa if he is not playing in the United first-team.

"I have just got to see what happens."

Fabio Capello is expected to take three keepers to South Africa, with David James, Green and Foster the Italian's preferred stoppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home