Will Power

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Javier Determined To Succeed

You could forgive Chicharito if he were feeling just a little daunted. After all, he’s been thrust into the spotlight with the expectations of a nation on his shoulders. Overwhelmed? Not a bit of it. The first Mexican to play for United is taking it all in his stride, determined to eventually add his name to the long list of legendary Reds front men…

How would you describe yourself to United fans as a person and a player?
I enjoy playing football and I always want to be a happy person. I’m quite quick and I like to score goals, though the team is always most important to me. I’m a family man, I approach everything in my life in a positive way, and I want to take full advantage of the opportunity that God has given me. That means working hard, being professional on and off the field, and enjoying myself.

When did you first hear that United were interested in signing you?
[United’s head scout] Jim Lawlor spoke to me about a year ago. He said he’d been watching me play for Chivas de Guadalajara and told me United were interested, so I was very excited. Before that he had spoken to my father, and when my father told me the news I cried because I couldn’t believe it. As a kid in Mexico, my dream was to play for the best team in Mexico and then move to Europe. But to be told not just any European team, but Manchester United, were interested, was unbelievable.

It’s amazing that you considered quitting football altogether 18 months ago – can you tell us about that?
I was not getting many opportunities in the Chivas first team, which led me to ask myself, "Is this the life I want to lead?" I questioned whether I was good enough to make it as a footballer. But I talked with my family, who said I needed to be patient, work hard and enjoy all the things involved in the game: not just playing in matches but going to training, resting, media work – everything that comes with this profession. When you’re playing it’s about learning to accept the bad times as well as enjoying the good. Confidence is all part of football. Nobody here is going to play 38 great games a season, we’ll all have good and bad days. But the key when you’re not playing so well is to find out why and to work on those aspects of the game that need improvement so that you can get better day by day.

It’s been a remarkable couple of years for you since then…
Yes, it’s really amazing how much my whole life has changed: I played a lot of games in Mexico, went to a World Cup and now have this incredible opportunity at United. It’s unbelievable and I’m thankful to all the people who believed in me, especially my family, without whom I would not be here.

You’ve had a while to settle in now. What are your impressions of what United is all about?
The biggest thing that has struck me is this: everyone around the world knows about Manchester United; when you’re on the outside it seems like a huge club, but now I am here, it doesn’t seem so big. I feel comfortable, it’s like a small family. I’m very happy.

What was it like when you met Sir Alex Ferguson for the first time, and what did he say to you?
I’ve been telling the media in Mexico about him. He’s like a ‘sir’, a gentlemen both during matches and away from the game. That’s why I think he’ll be regarded as the greatest manager in the modern era. When I first met him he just told me to enjoy myself here. That helped to take any pressure off me, so now I can concentrate on working hard and trying to play well.

Was it nerve-wracking to meet and play with United legends such as Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes?
Of course I was a little nervous at first. I was used to seeing players like Giggs and Scholes in the newspapers and magazines and on TV back home, and then all of a sudden they were my team-mates! But the nerves were normal and not overwhelming because I soon realised we’re all team-mates and have the same goal: to help United win trophies.

Who was the first United player to make you welcome in the squad?
Nani at first because he speaks a little Spanish. I also get on with the da Silva twins, and Ando and Valencia because of their similar languages. But really, everyone helped me to settle very quickly and they are all happy to give me advice when I need it – especially experienced players like Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Wes and Sheasy.

Ryan Giggs says you’re a ‘born goalscorer’ – and he’s seen plenty of players over the years that he’s been at Old Trafford. How does that make you feel?
Very happy, of course, that players like Ryan talk about me in that way, because they’ve been here all their careers and enjoyed incredible success. That’s why their words motivate me to work hard. And the other strikers here, Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, are extraordinary players – that’s why they are in this team. They always play at a high level and I can learn a lot from them.

Does it help to have two other young players – Chris Smalling and Bebe – joining the club at the same time?
Of course that helps, because it means there are other players who are learning with me. They are both really good guys, and what we have in common is that we all want to stay at Manchester United for a long time and to reward the confidence that the club have in us. Bebe is a great talent, with a lot of skill and speed.
Chris is a great defender: he’s strong and calm on the ball, and he’ll only get better in the next few seasons. We are all enjoying ourselves a lot and just want to improve – that’s the most important thing.

You play with a smile on your face – have you always been like that?
That’s the way I’ve always approached the game, because there are people in the world with bigger problems than us. We need to enjoy ourselves because we are privileged both to play football and to play for Manchester United. I get angry sometimes – that’s just part of the game – but even then I try to look for positives.

Your father and grandfather were both footballers. How much do they advise you?
They talk to me about all aspects of the game and what to expect as a footballer in the future, so I can be alert and prepared. It’s nice to have two great former players and coaches in my house! Then the female members of my family, like my mother and grandmother, advise me on other things.

What are your ambitions, both for this season and beyond?
I was often asked this question in Mexico, and my answer is that I never set myself a goals target. The most important thing for all of us is that the team wins – it doesn’t matter who scores the goals. And personally, as long as I am performing to the best of my ability, have the right attitude and do what the manager tells me, I am happy. Of course I want to play as much as possible and to help the team win. If I score goals on the way that’s a bonus. I have no long-term goals – my focus is only on helping the team win as many trophies as possible. I just need to work hard, be patient and enjoy my football. Whether I’m playing, on the bench or not in the squad, I have to keep supporting the team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home