Will Power

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rooney Eyes Goal Rush

Wayne Rooney has expressed his relief at getting back among the goals after sealing United's place in the Champions League knockout stages at Ibrox.

Making his first start for the Reds since 26 September in the 1-0 win over Rangers, the England striker was full of energy and enthusiasm, showing no sign of nerves or the ankle injury that has ruled him out for much of this campaign.

With chances at a premium against a five-man Rangers defence, the game was decided by an 87th minute penalty after the impressive Fabio was sent tumbling by Steven Naismith, allowing Rooney to grab the headlines from 12 yards.

“There were not many nerves really," Rooney told MUTV. "I knew what I was doing and where I was going, I can only do that. If the keeper guesses the right way and saves it, so be it. Thankfully it went in. Obviously it is a bit of a relief for me to score. Hopefully I can build on this now, I hope I can go on a goalscoring run."

The United striker also revealed the benefits of a week’s intensive training at the Nike headquarters in USA: “I am just delighted to be back playing again. I felt good, I felt fit throughout the game.

“I feel as though it has helped playing 90 minutes. When you have been out for a bit you generally feel a bit tired at the end. Today I felt good at the end. The week in America certainly helped me fitness-wise.”

Victory at Ibrox sealed the Reds’ progress to the second round of the competition with a home tie against Valencia to spare. Nevertheless, Rooney insists United must beat the Spanish giants and finish top of Group C to avoid the big guns of European football in the next phase.

“If you can avoid the better teams in the competition, it is best to do that at this stage,” he explained. “The manager told us before the game that it was important to win this game and thankfully we have done that.

“It wasn't easy especially as Rangers get so many men behind the ball. It was hard to break them down. We knew a point was good enough for us, but we are pleased to get the win in the end.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home