Will Power

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Giggs: I Will Play On

Ryan Giggs says he wants to play on for United next season - "good news" according to his manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 37-year-old Welsh winger has belied his age once again this season to turn in some fine displays, and he sees no reason to hang up his boots just yet.

"I am quite happy still playing at the moment," Giggs told us on Friday. "I am really happy and enjoying my football as much as ever. I said if I was still enjoying myself and still getting picked I would carry on. We will sit down and talk but I am really looking forward to playing next year.

"[The talks] will follow the pattern of the last three or four years. The talks have been done and dusted very quickly. I don't know when it will be sorted out. We have been quite relaxed about it over the years. We will sit down when we have time and have a chat. It is usually done and dusted quite quickly."

Giggs admits he is more honest about his own performances now he's older, so he says he will know himself when the time is right to call it a day.

"You are a lot more honest with yourself. You know whether you have played well or not. When you are younger you are probably not as honest. You try to think of any excuse! I am experienced enough to know whether I have played well or not. I have generally been happy with my form. But there is room for improvement."

The Welshman was described by Sir Alex Ferguson as "a fantastic human being" at last week's press conference, and Giggs says their relationship is better than ever now he is one of the squad's most experienced members.

"We talk a lot more. We are a lot more honest with each other. He tells me when I am not going to play. He gives me a little bit more notice now. It is a great relationship and one that has been a big part of why I am still playing because together we can manage myself properly and get me ready for games fit and fresh. Of course I want to be involved in every game but I want to be at my best in every game. I realise I can't play every game. You trust the manager."

Sir Alex discussed Giggs in an exclusive interview with MUTV on Friday morning. The boss said, "I spoke to Ryan a few days ago. He's happy, he wants another year. It's good news. You see his fitness and what can you say? He's incredible. He can give another year, who knows maybe another two years, his fitness is so good.

The boss admits he wouldn't have foreseen such a long and successful career when Giggs made his debut in 1991. "But improvements in the game in terms of sport science - Ryan is very much into yoga, for example - give you a better chance. The most important thing is the person himself. If he's prepared to make sacrifices and be a really good professional, then he can do it. Ryan has proved that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home